Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scoob’s sound proofing before & after experiment...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm most curious to know how drastic of a change in temperature did you notice? The one thing that irks me in my S, and rightfully so being in New England, is the draftiness I feel on my left leg. Its as if the cold is radiating straight thru the door. I would definitely like to do this if it would help with the overall draftiness of the car, mostly on the doors. Any sound improvement would just be gravy for me.
Interesting question. I can't speak on temperature insulation. The only way I can describe it, you know when you get in to a Car that is really well insulated IE S550 Mercedes? When you close the doors and it makes a solid thud, your ears almost feel like they may be clogged a little due to the air pressure? That's the same feeling I get now in the Model S.

When having conversation with the Tech last night on our test drive our conversation / voices sounded like we were in a sealed off room, no echo, no reverb, man its so hard to put into words but it's an amazing difference.

If I end up purchasing another auto in the future I will 100% do the same procedure.

Thanks so much for giving us a wrap up of your project. I will keep “watching” this thread, because I’ll PM if I know I’ll be in the SMF area, and take you up on your offer.

Our current Model S75D will be traded in in about a year. My next Model S, I hope it’s going to be a “P”, will definitely have this type of work done.

Thanks again.
You're very welcome. I would no doubt do it again in any car in the future.

Thank you for posting detailed pictures. Awesome to hear about the positive results. This is going to be my next project for sure. Hearing you describe the results makes me extremely excited at the possibility to have the cabin in my S even quieter. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a couple questions:

- roughly how much material went into this (4 doors + rear area)?
- did you purchase the material, if yes, could you tell me what type/thickness of MLV you got? Same with the Noico tape.
- you mentioned wheel well too, did he insulate anything there from the outside or you meant the area from the trunk? Interior only.

- that blue padding on the trunk well, was it there from the factory? Padding was OEM
Is it also for insulation purposes?

roughly how much material went into this (4 doors + rear area)? I wasn't paying attention to the material used on specific parts of the car. I will tell you however we did use every last inch of the roll I purchased (4x25ft roll)
- did you purchase the material, if yes, could you tell me what type/thickness of MLV you got? Link to the MLV-
https://www.amazon.com/soundsulate-Mass-Loaded-Vinyl-SHIPS/dp/B017DVK1IE?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

Same with the Noico tape. Link -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BKKZ1AM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

- you mentioned wheel well too, did he insulate anything there from the outside or you meant the area from the trunk?
- that blue padding on the trunk well, was it there from the factory? Is it also for insulation purposes?
Thank you for posting detailed pictures. Awesome to hear about the positive results. This is going to be my next project for sure. Hearing you describe the results makes me extremely excited at the possibility to have the cabin in my S even quieter. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a couple questions:

- roughly how much material went into this (4 doors + rear area)?
- did you purchase the material, if yes, could you tell me what type/thickness of MLV you got? Same with the Noico tape.
- you mentioned wheel well too, did he insulate anything there from the outside or you meant the area from the trunk?
- that blue padding on the trunk well, was it there from the factory? Is it also for insulation purposes?
Interesting question. I can't speak on temperature insulation. The only way I can describe it, you know when you get in to a Car that is really well insulated IE S550 Mercedes? When you close the doors and it makes a solid thud, your ears almost feel like they may be clogged a little due to the air pressure? That's the same feeling I get now in the Model S.

When having conversation with the Tech last night on our test drive our conversation / voices sounded like we were in a sealed off room, no echo, no reverb, man its so hard to put into words but it's an amazing difference.

If I end up purchasing another auto in the future I will 100% do the same procedure.

roughly how much material went into this (4 doors + rear area)? I wasn't paying attention to the material used on specific parts of the car. I will tell you however we did use every last inch of the roll I purchased (4x25ft roll)
- did you purchase the material, if yes, could you tell me what type/thickness of MLV you got? Link to the MLV-
https://www.amazon.com/soundsulate-Mass-Loaded-Vinyl-SHIPS/dp/B017DVK1IE?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

Same with the Noico tape. Link -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BKKZ1AM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

87E4FD7B-86FB-413B-A0F4-B2694053608D.jpeg
One more thing to mention Gents. I'm absolutely blown away and so glad I added the NVX Sub / Amp combo. It completely changes the sound in the Car. My Lord, the low end bass was lacking in the premium sound system. Not anymore! I was hesitant to bother with adding the 10" Subwoofer. Didn't know how much of a difference It would make. Um Jaw Dropping! So clean, doesn't take up any usable space either.

Hands down Tesla should offer this as an option on all Model S. Outstanding!

Same here, I want to start working on this asap!

Speaking of audio, mine is the standard setup (no premium audio package). What's the good value upgrade recommended for this? Straight to the NVX sub/amp as mentioned? Or is there some other kit which would improve other aspects also?

IMO the NVX sub/amp is the biggest, most noticeable change. Don't waste your money on the rear door speakers as they do so little A pair of decent 2 ohm speakers up front is significantly less than the NVX setup and much easier to install, but will also not make as much of a difference as the sub/amp combo.

There aren't a lot of 6.5" 2 ohm midbass speakers out there unless you buy a component set and throw away the tweeters and crossovers, but these will work and should sound nice:

Pair of Focal 6PS-2 Ohm 6.5 Inch Polyglass 75 Watts RMS Midrange Speakers from PS-165V Component Set

You could also buy a pair of 2 ohm coaxial speakers and fit them. 2 ohm is important to get the most out of the factory amp. You can use the stock speakers as mounting adapters by ripping out the cones and motor, then screwing your new speaker into the plastic frame, or you can buy a set of adapters from this company for $130: 2012-2020 Tesla Model S Custom Speaker Adapters. Their service is pretty crummy as they don't respond to many emails, but as far as I know they are the only company making speaker adapters for the MS.

I've been planning to do this to my car as well. How far up the firewall did he do? Did he remove the dash? I'm glad you have positive results! Now I'm feeling motivated to start this sooner.
If you look at page one of the thread you can get a good look how far up he went. No need to remove the dash to get good coverage. In picture #10 about half way down the first page you can get a good idea of the coverage.

@scooby-snack, a couple quick questions regarding the doors:

I think I noticed this in one of the pics: did he also put a sheet of MLV on the inside of the doors? (essentially stuck to the outer metal sheet) and then another section of MLV on the inside door panel?

Related to this, did he put any additional Noico on the inside of the plastic door trim pieces?

Slight non sequitur. I'm actually waiting intently for a thread to start about someone doing a soundproofing project just like this, but in a Model X.

I'm thinking that applying similar material just to all four door panels and the front wheel well area might make an appreciable difference already. A lot more road roar comes into our Model X than our Model S.

Slight non sequitur. I'm actually waiting intently for a thread to start about someone doing a soundproofing project just like this, but in a Model X.

I'm thinking that applying similar material just to all four door panels and the front wheel well area might make an appreciable difference already. A lot more road roar comes into our Model X than our Model S.

I wonder if those doors would like an extra 20 lbs. of weight. Think Tesla would warranty a motor that breaks when the doors have a whack of dynamat etc. stuffed in there?

I wonder if those doors would like an extra 20 lbs. of weight. Think Tesla would warranty a motor that breaks when the doors have a whack of dynamat etc. stuffed in there?

Good point. On the same note I'm wondering how much weight I can safely add to the S hatch liftgate. I feel it vibrates and resonates so easily so I'd love to add some Noico/MLV in there too.

Well, no time like the present to dive into a project like this. I ordered today a bunch of goodies (Noico, MLV, trim tools, spare clips) and I'll be starting over the next few days. If ok with Scooby, I'll post pics here instead of opening a new thread. The general plan is to do something very similar to what he did, except I'm not pulling the seats and the whole interior. I'll do the doors, trunk area and maybe a bit of the front wheel wells.

First session today. Nothing major to report and no pics yet. I wanted to get started with an easy exercise so I pulled the lift gate panels to add a bit of Noico in there and maybe a piece of MLV under the large trim piece.

Removing the trim pieces wasn't difficult but about half the clips broke. Very happy that the ones I bought without having seen the installed clips, are exactly the same, so we're good here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CTTH4

Fun tidbit, I made myself laugh today. I live in a 3rd floor apt and I didn't realize until today how heavy the MLV roll is. I wan't to pick it up from where the delivery guy left it by the door and it just wasn't moving. It's amazing how dense this thing is. An arguably small roll and it weighs 70lbs.

I've finished the hatch lift-gate today. Nothing too complex so far, I've pus a few Noico pieces on the outer sheet (inside) and I've decided to close the large openings with MLV.

Also, I've put small strips of gaffer tape on all clips so nothing rattles in there.

I have to say, putting back the large trim piece, especially since I was alone, it was a real pain in the butt. All in all, I'm happy the way I've done it and that I didn't break anything during the process :)

This is too small of a change to notice any improvement but I'm fairly sure it will help. The lift-gate still opens fine although I'm not sure how much more strain I am putting on the struts with the added weight.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

Oh yeah, on another happy note, I've successfully hunted down and eliminated a seemingly random and annoying squeak. Sometimes I would notice a sort of clicking sound from the back seat. For a long time I was sure it was from the seat belt buckles but it turned out it wasn't. It took quite some detective work to figure out that the back seat frame was clicking when driving over specific bumps or rough roads.

I've fixed it by taking off the back seat and wedged a few thick pieces of hard rubber under the back side tubing. Tesla had some soft foam installed there. Not very obvious from the picture but it's there under the back rest where the large frame metal tube rests along the body.

Screenshot_1.jpg