Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scoob’s sound proofing before & after experiment...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BF0B71DA-E3A8-42F7-BA74-24A6F0387E84.png
226BCFDC-3672-4728-988C-30C6FFF6F5CA.png
Hello all. Plan on doing a complete Mass Loaded Vinyl / Butyl sound proofing of my 2018 Modes S P100D 21" Arachnids. I did some DBA Driving Videos at various speed. I'll keep you all posted if the MLV and Butyl makes a perceived difference as well as DBA levels.

Reactions: Rossy
Following..

Considering doing my doors in the spring for the road noise. I feel that anything more than the doors my be diminishing returns for the amount of work?
I'll let you guys know. According to the Tech working on it there are a lot of areas in the car that have very little if any sound insulation. I told him I want it lined front to back with the 1lb MLV and then the panels I will have him use the Self Adhesive Butyl

I think it may also vary based on the year, but I can't see the floor needing any treatment. Remember there is a giant 4 inch thick battery pack under you.

I treated my doors with a combination of RAAMmat and ensolite. It helped, but the car is not quite a cocoon. Still pretty quiet though. I plan to do the rear hatch at some point, maybe when install a rear dash cam.

CAA0DB9B-37B1-4C73-B59D-842C1805600D.jpeg
83B2460F-AC14-41A4-A62B-C1A8BBF4AFBC.jpeg
4B6AFB75-BA5E-4110-B6AA-CC85CE1AD4B4.jpeg
5599E99C-37AA-4A08-86CF-A9A3B1375816.jpeg
F64B804B-BD20-4A87-BAC1-A6E8DD48CD60.jpeg
408CDBFC-5F01-4F4E-88B8-11D09C9D172F.jpeg
675296AA-A4C8-4C2A-87DB-10FCEE45B480.jpeg
View attachment 501933 View attachment 501934 Hello all. Plan on doing a complete Mass Loaded Vinyl / Butyl sound proofing of my 2018 Modes S P100D 21" Arachnids. I did some DBA Driving Videos at various speed. I'll keep you all posted if the MLV and Butyl makes a perceived difference as well as DBA levels.

Very little if any sound insulation from Tesla. In the pictures you can see the MLV being paid down. The Foil looking patches Tesla installs from the factory. Which are few and far between.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
54C194DF-3F16-4232-AD9C-1C00B41374A9.jpeg
8DEF72B6-E73C-43C0-9C5B-06B33A0FC30D.jpeg
1D0AEF3E-37C0-4545-B40D-EE483977BAEC.jpeg
I think it may also vary based on the year, but I can't see the floor needing any treatment. Remember there is a giant 4 inch thick battery pack under you.

I treated my doors with a combination of RAAMmat and ensolite. It helped, but the car is not quite a cocoon. Still pretty quiet though. I plan to do the rear hatch at some point, maybe when install a rear dash cam.

Well there’s a reason that Tesla must put the few strips of butyl that they do under the carpet. I’ll let you know how my full coverage sounds tomorrow. I’m having the guy come out 2 weekend’s from today to finish the door panel, wheel wells, and the rear cargo area. Which Is good for the purpose of comparing each step.

I wish our S was as quiet as our previous Lexus but I don't know if I want it that badly. The Raven S isn't too bad noise-wise. I just use good Grand Touring tires and turn up the music.

Props for the effort and commitment though.

This is good to know. I had wondered if the sound isolation in the Model S Ravens had been improved. The main complaint I have about our March 2017 build S75D is the amount of road noise that gets in.

Actually, our July 2018 Model X100D is even noisier than our S75D, allowing even more road noise to be transmitted into the cabin.

View attachment 502390 View attachment 502391 Here’s the Car at 75% covered with MLV from earlier today. (Covered Firewall to start of the rear cushion area
Nice work! I’m doing the same in my Model 3. One suggestion for the floor is to add a 3rd layer using “STP Noise Block”. This also blocks the high frequency range. It can only be used in horizontal areas like the floor.

Would you mind letting us know how much this cost you, once the work is done?
...and total weight added. I feel like those two data points are super important since weight is the biggest negative (other than cost/time) to insulating vehicles and one of the big reasons Tesla chose to skimp on this aspect since the cars are already super heavy compared to other sedans in the segment.

This is good to know. I had wondered if the sound isolation in the Model S Ravens had been improved. The main complaint I have about our March 2017 build S75D is the amount of road noise that gets in.

Actually, our July 2018 Model X100D is even noisier than our S75D, allowing even more road noise to be transmitted into the cabin.

I've driven several 2018 pre-Raven loaners and our Raven S definitely has less road noise and rides smoother (as expected with the new air suspension). The electric whine was louder on our Raven S but after they replaced the front two half-shafts, the whine is almost imperceptible at times and less audible than the pre-Raven Ses. That said, our S is still about 2.5-3.0 dB louder than our previous Lexus LS 460 over a particularly rough patch of road that I'm familiar with, so enough difference to be noticeable but not terrible.

I concur about the X. I haven't sampled a Raven X yet but hope they improved on both fronts -- noise and harsh ride (even with 20s). I was so excited for an X but the 2017s we drove both had issues with the 2nd-row seats and FWD scratching the body, but worst was the road noise and jittery ride quality. As awesome as the X is, the test drive was a big let down for me. The rough ride quality would have driven me mad after a week. If the Raven X remedies the noise and ride then it will be a superb people mover.

I get anxious when I look at pictures like this. It would be my luck that once everything was bolted back in, there'd be some unidentifiable, unlocate-able rattle going on inside the cabin.
Haha I'm with you on this one. I was fortunate to have access to a Tesla Technician. He's stripped the S. 3, and X down the the frame many times before. Hard working Young Man. He made sure to bring replacement clips and any else that may present an issue.

Did you make any improvements to the door seals? I feel my 75D lets some wind noise in at highway speeds.
No not yet. Honestly my biggest complaint is ambient road noise. I know 100% that the wheels and tires are not helping. I plan to do basically the entire Car wheel wells, door panels etc. Besides the noise dampening and prevention of unwanted rattles as the Car ages this should also provide better temperature insulation as well. 1lb MLV is extremely dense material.