Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scooshers Delivering Less Water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have noticed of late that my M3P windscreen scooshers are delivering noticeably less water to the windscreen leaving them with streaks. My wife has a newer M3LR and her scooshers work like mine used to (plenty water delivered). Any suggestions for restoring their original performance ?

Yup - when the SC guy came to look at my car back in the summer he showed me the connection of the water jet pipes. There is a Y junction under the clip on cover on the drivers side. The rubber pipes simply push on to this - on my car they were hardly pushed on and simple to correct.

So I have noticed of late that my M3P windscreen scooshers are delivering noticeably less water to the windscreen leaving them with streaks. My wife has a newer M3LR and her scooshers work like mine used to (plenty water delivered). Any suggestions for restoring their original performance ?
When you say “water” do you mean screen wash? I only ask because many years ago I used to fill mine with plain water, and algae formed in the pipes and bunged up the whole scoosher system.

So was booked in to the Aberdeen service centre today and they looked at my scooshers. Both wiper arms were blocked so Tesla replaced them free of charge. Great service, very nice people and it only took an hour. As per one of the previous posts the thing to do is use good quality washer fluid all year at the correct concentrations .

Reactions: MrBadger
On the subject of washers.. in my last car I'm ashamed to admit I fell for and adhered to the whole "Audi screenwash only, others might clog up the jets", so I'd end up spending silly money (relatively) on screenwash from Audi/VW.

What do Teslas use? Is it safe to use e.g. Halfords stuff so long as its empty?

On the subject of washers.. in my last car I'm ashamed to admit I fell for and adhered to the whole "Audi screenwash only, others might clog up the jets", so I'd end up spending silly money (relatively) on screenwash from Audi/VW.

What do Teslas use? Is it safe to use e.g. Halfords stuff so long as its empty?

That's a question to which I'd like an answer too - I am now getting an occasional alert to top up my screenwash.
A little odd since I've not used my washers all that much since I got the car in the first week of September and only driven 2044 miles.
Not looked yet but is there an an actual washer liquid level you can see?

I have some 5 litre bottles of Holts blue concentrated screenwash with the dilution instructions of: Autumn - 1:1, Winter - neat, Spring/Summer 1:9.

Since Tesla doesn't 'waste' as much as normal car wash nozzles, but the wash jet tubing may be more exposed, I wonder what the best dilution (if any) should be used?

Reactions: Durzel
That's a question to which I'd like an answer too - I am now getting an occasional alert to top up my screenwash.
A little odd since I've not used my washers all that much since I got the car in the first week of September and only driven 2044 miles.
Not looked yet but is there an an actual washer liquid level you can see?

I have some 5 litre bottles of Holts blue concentrated screenwash with the dilution instructions of: Autumn - 1:1, Winter - neat, Spring/Summer 1:9.

Since Tesla doesn't 'waste' as much as normal car wash nozzles, but the wash jet tubing may be more exposed, I wonder what the best dilution (if any) should be used?
I topped mine up after about 700 miles as we were getting colder weather. I put in over 3L which suggests to me that Tesla may not have filled up completely before delivery.
Use the dilution on the screen wash bottle. There's likely little difference in temperature between the scooshers and the bottle after a cold night.

• Funny
Reactions: AlexMasters
I've found that adding around another 20% of isopropanol to the screenwash can both improve cold weather performance and help prevent gunk building up in the hoses. It's a pretty effective biocide, so tends to reduce the rate at which biofilms grow inside the hoses.

I've found that cars with wiper fed washers tend to suffer more from gunk in the pipes than cars with washer jets. My theory is that this may be because the hoses in the wiper arms can get warmer in the sun than hoses feeding jets, and this warmth, over long periods, helps stuff grow in them. I had the same problem with a drip irrigation system in the garden, and cured that by burying the drip feed pipes, so they didn't warm up in the sun.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
The Tesla service technician said it was better to buy the ready to use washer fluid as you then are less likely to over concentrate your mixture which can block the feeder tubes. He actually said the Tesco 5 litre ready to used stuff was very good .