Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scotland road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all.
So In a couple of weeks we will be taking a road trip from Nottingham to Scotland, and over the course of a week we plan to explore all of the north coast of scotland, other than a the fortwilliam and Inverness super chargers and one charger at a hotel that have booked in scourie - we will be relying on the charge place scotland charging network.

I have the choice of taking my own 2020 Model 3 Performance for the trip, Or taking my dads 2020 Model X performance. Given the choice, which would you take?
I feel the MX may be more comfortable for the long driving and we have a chademo adapter for it + Faster AC charging so we are more likley to get a charge at the CPS chargers. I have not used the MX as my daily car ever, so unsure on its range and efficancy in comparison to my M3. + not sure if how wide the mx is will hinder us on those tight roads.
has anyone else explored rural Scotland in their Tesla, any thoughts on what car will be better suited?

Last edited:
These two were in a recent RSymmonds video where they did a round trip to a fast charger and compared lots of cars, there have been a few other comparisons of the two and the model 3 appears to be significantly more frugal than an X if memory serves correctly.

Never been in an X but given the relative position of the two in the market I would imagine it has some advantages for a long trip but the roads in Scotland are good drivers roads, its M3P territory but watch out for the cameras and mobile vans.

Try to get an RFID card for CPS or one that's compatible with CPS to save you faffing around with the mobile app.

Unfortunately you'll get mixed results with the CPS network, some are brilliant, others just don't work or will only give you a charge for ~10 mins before cutting off.

I second @Alic01 in that to enjoy the roads you'll want something nimble. I too have never driven an X but I would image the 3 is more apt to bendy roads with many undulations.

Not sure what you're planned route is on the way back from Inverness but if the opportunity allows, Inverness > The Lecht > Tomintoul > Crathie > Glenshee is a beautiful and thrilling route which will take you out by Perth.

Try to get an RFID card for CPS or one that's compatible with CPS to save you faffing around with the mobile app.

Unfortunately you'll get mixed results with the CPS network, some are brilliant, others just don't work or will only give you a charge for ~10 mins before cutting off.

I second @Alic01 in that to enjoy the roads you'll want something nimble. I too have never driven an X but I would image the 3 is more apt to bendy roads with many undulations.

Not sure what you're planned route is on the way back from Inverness but if the opportunity allows, Inverness > The Lecht > Tomintoul > Crathie > Glenshee is a beautiful and thrilling route which will take you out by Perth.
RFID card is at the ready!

Our rough route based on our accommodation is Fort William > Torridon > scourie > Thurso > Inverness. Stopping at most of these stops for 1 night, stopping at Scourie with a destination charger for 2 nights . Will also have the wall plug just in case

Will be sure to keep that route in mind for our return journey! Yeah i am also thinking the M3 will be more nimble!

We had a week in the Fort William area last September travelling in our M3P from the North West. Simply an amazingly well matched car to the roads of the highlands. Regen braking and loads of accessible power made it a dream for touring around all kind of roads. Just had to be a bit careful with the rims on some of the poor unclassified ones. Not sure how much advantage the MX woukd be in this regard.

The need for an occasional stop to recharge gave perfect comfort breaks too. The ability to fast charge whilst catching up with something on Netflix etc was just fantastic.

I think you’re a bit spoilt for choice there, both sound great options.

Your route sounds amazing, must do a report on your return.

We used our Charge Your Car RFID with CPS chargers but not sure if they’re still OK, now the CPS network is changing operator?

Lochinver from Aberdeenshire was fantastic last year..the M3 takes me back to my motorcycling days.. just can't squeeze between the cars the same. I'd say if you have more than 2 in the car, take the X. But for the range, exhilaration, and comfort take the M3.
Whatever you take, enjoy your holiday.

From what I am reading here and else where, Scotland is so full of places to see! I doubt 1 week is enough to really take it in, but Looking forward to exploring it all!

Do bear in mind that thought the roads and scenery remain all present and correct* there's still not much really open ... so stopping for lunch or visiting "attractions" is still a challenge .... but fingers crossed it won't be long now!

*Edit: Well, other than the A83 Rest and be Thankful Traffic Scotland > Mini Site Event )

Last edited:
And you haven't even mentioned the Islands
Nor the cuisine...

1620048367649.png

I have also booked the NC500 trip, various things have stopped us going in the last few years, had it booked for spring 2020 too. We are going to Dundee on Monday 10th, then doing the NC500 route anti-clockwise, east coast first.

We'll be in my 5 year Model S, I'm not worried about charging, there seems to be choice, but it might take up travelling time. I have my old Chad adapter, plus I've had the CCS conversion on the car too. I have bought a skinny spare tyre, just in case. @nandol97 - might pass you - we will be at Torridon on 17th to 19th. PM me if you want to compare notes.

Loads of info on NC500 site, many Fb groups with info too. I recommend the Charles Tait book if you can get it in time.

One of my concerns in the Tesla are sat nav/offline maps, lack of Spotify when in remote areas. I'm hoping more pubs/restaurants are open enroute, we will have to take that chance!

Thanks for the advice re speed traps/vans.

Regards,

Tony

We’re also heading up to Scotland again this summer. Hawick in the Borders for a week to visit family then a week based in Braemar. We‘ll do day trips from there. Cottage has an EV charging point which is great. Last year we based ourselves around Loch Tay and had a fabulous time. Chargeplace Scotland network is good. The big difference for us this summer is that we have a new addition to the family, the pup, who’ll be taking up one of the rear seats. Oh how I’d love a hatchback Tesla (that I could afford :))

On the OPs question I think I’d opt for the Model 3 for slightly more range and driving fun, as long as you can get everything you need in it. The Model 3 is brilliantly balanced and agile for the rural roads in Scotland. Also I’d be paranoid about the size of the Model X on some of those roads.

Reactions: Tonyf
Hey all.
So In a couple of weeks we will be taking a road trip from Nottingham to Scotland, and over the course of a week we plan to explore all of the north coast of scotland, other than a the fortwilliam and Inverness super chargers and one charger at a hotel that have booked in scourie - we will be relying on the charge place scotland charging network.

I have the choice of taking my own 2020 Model 3 Performance for the trip, Or taking my dads 2020 Model X performance. Given the choice, which would you take?
I feel the MX may be more comfortable for the long driving and we have a chademo adapter for it + Faster AC charging so we are more likley to get a charge at the CPS chargers. I have not used the MX as my daily car ever, so unsure on its range and efficancy in comparison to my M3. + not sure if how wide the mx is will hinder us on those tight roads.
has anyone else explored rural Scotland in their Tesla, any thoughts on what car will be better suited?
#FirstWorldProblems :)

Reactions: nandol97