Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scotland road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice 'problem' to have :).

Last year we planned a road trip to Scotland with our 75D X fully loaded with 6 people + 2 bikes on the back......obviously it never happened :(

49439453883_679439fd86_c_d.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the width of the X in 50k+ I've yet to come across any problems, it will be less efficient than the 3 by at least 30% but you have the luxury or space, and the view from the drivers seat really is unique!!

I cannot wait to take ours on another road trip:).

38237092706_f02b8b4a06_c_d.jpg

I have also booked the NC500 trip, various things have stopped us going in the last few years, had it booked for spring 2020 too. We are going to Dundee on Monday 10th, then doing the NC500 route anti-clockwise, east coast first.

We'll be in my 5 year Model S, I'm not worried about charging, there seems to be choice, but it might take up travelling time. I have my old Chad adapter, plus I've had the CCS conversion on the car too. I have bought a skinny spare tyre, just in case. @nandol97 - might pass you - we will be at Torridon on 17th to 19th. PM me if you want to compare notes.

Loads of info on NC500 site, many Fb groups with info too. I recommend the Charles Tait book if you can get it in time.

One of my concerns in the Tesla are sat nav/offline maps, lack of Spotify when in remote areas. I'm hoping more pubs/restaurants are open enroute, we will have to take that chance!

Thanks for the advice re speed traps/vans.

Regards,

Tony
Hey, We will be In fort William on the 11th and Torridon on the 12th/13th. So might not pass you!

in terms of the maps, you can download google maps on your phone for offline access, so might be worth doing that!

Nice 'problem' to have :).

Last year we planned a road trip to Scotland with our 75D X fully loaded with 6 people + 2 bikes on the back......obviously it never happened :(

49439453883_679439fd86_c_d.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the width of the X in 50k+ I've yet to come across any problems, it will be less efficient than the 3 by at least 30% but you have the luxury or space, and the view from the drivers seat really is unique!!

I cannot wait to take ours on another road trip:).

38237092706_f02b8b4a06_c_d.jpg
Ah nice, yes my dads model x also has free supercharging which would be nice to make use of.

Reactions: icemankaka
I am currently near Loch Lomond and next week will be heading further north. A Better Route Planner is not aware of the Superchargers at Fort William and Inverness - both of which have been open for months - thus making it useless for route planning in the north of Scotland. I have reported this to them but have had no acknowledgmen.

I am currently near Loch Lomond and next week will be heading further north. A Better Route Planner is not aware of the Superchargers at Fort William and Inverness - both of which have been open for months - thus making it useless for route planning in the north of Scotland. I have reported this to them but have had no acknowledgmen.
Strange. Fort William Supercharges clearly marked in ABRP IOS app and on the website, showing correctly as 250kW:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    199.5 KB · Views: 97
Are you in a vehicle without CCS upgrade or one that ABRP thinks doesn't have it?

I seem to see both when using the browser version, or search for the charger directly.

Check your settings ... they are showing on route planning. You may have inadvertently turned off Superchargers in the charging settings ... or ABR may have done it if you were previously looking at routing for a non Tesla perhaps? ABR may not respond if they think it s a PEBCAK issue ... ;)

Glad I took the X, the landscapes on the drive up is incredible!
how does the car fit the roads?
ive done the highlands twice (rentals - once a tiny ford ka and another time a 1 series bmw or sth. rental + small car never brought problems)

now life has moved on and I own an MS - but the only thing is... tiny roads vs a large car. does the car fit?!
I’m planning to go to Islay w at least 3 other people. I don’t exactly see the point taking the plane when the car is almost full. problem is just - how do i get to the kennacraig (ferry hopping or a83)

The X really isn't that big, I've yet to come across any issues with size, infact I find it easier to place on the road versus my wifes Lexus saloon thanks to the higher driving position and overall view.

48068156882_89c5f99912_k_d.jpg

Infact parked up next to a Polstar it looks hardly any bigger.

50877829348_886b8516f4_k_d.jpg

Reactions: icemankaka
how does the car fit the roads?
ive done the highlands twice (rentals - once a tiny ford ka and another time a 1 series bmw or sth. rental + small car never brought problems)

now life has moved on and I own an MS - but the only thing is... tiny roads vs a large car. does the car fit?!
I’m planning to go to Islay w at least 3 other people. I don’t exactly see the point taking the plane when the car is almost full. problem is just - how do i get to the kennacraig (ferry hopping or a83)
It really was not an issue, I was nervous about it beforehand but it was a breeze to drive. 90% of the roads are kept in amazing condition and I never felt nervous or was concerned by the size of the car. So glad I took the X over the 3!

And for any future people researching the NC500 route in a Tesla, feel free to ping me any questions. the CPS network was overall reliable for me (with the chademo adapter) only came across 1 non functioning unit but there was a 22kw option beside it anyway. Only spent £12 on electricity for the whole 1700 mile trip!

Planning similar trip in my Model 3 in July. What did you take along for catering for a tyre puncture? I already have bought a jack adapter from Abstract Ocean but thinking about tyre gunk and a compressor. Did you arrange any charging at hotels?

Planning similar trip in my Model 3 in July. What did you take along for catering for a tyre puncture? I already have bought a jack adapter from Abstract Ocean but thinking about tyre gunk and a compressor. Did you arrange any charging at hotels?
ive done the route twice but never encountered a tyre burst on rentals...

i guess its just different risk exposure.

I'm visiting & staying in Scotland for a couple of trips shortly - hotels where we're staying have chargers, but I don't know what else I'm likely to need if charging on the road , PAYG for e.g.
Does anyone have any useful tips for what I might need? Do I need a card, any particular apps etc?