Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scottish Borders Holiday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Roy W.
We're driving up to Edinburgh next Friday to settle our daughter into a new flat for her final year at Uni. I have often enjoyed the beauty of the Borders, particularly as my favourite route to Edinburgh is via the Clyde Valley, and found the road from Moffat to be one of the best driving roads I know of, anywhere (although the spirited driving it encourages makes it unsuitable for driving with passengers..!). We have been seriously contemplating moving to the neighbourhood and sitting Brexit out until Scotland becomes Independent...!)

We shall be taking the opportunity this time to spend a couple of days after Edinburgh in a B&B just S of Peebles where we have relatives and I have found this thread most informative.If I'd known previously about Half House Cottage I would definitely have checked availability...!

We travel down to Preston from Banchory frequently and always choose the A701 option from West Linton to the A74 as it is the most fantastic road to drive. However I would argue that the very best road (apart from the road to Applecross) is the Cairn o’Mount Road from Fettercairn to Banchory.
A bit far north for you from Edinburgh but well worth a trip when time allows.

You will be talking of the A701 ... I know what you are saying! A few days ago I drove up that road from Moffat and unfortunately a section of several miles has just been done with the dreaded "loose chippings"... recommended speed 20mph! I drove along cringing at the plink plink of stones against the underside of the car and resisting the temptation to speed up, only for "white van man" in his work supplied Transit to come hammering towards us at 60+, chippings flying in all directions. I gave him a suitable hand signal (not found in the Highway Code). (With any luck the worst of the chippings will have been dispersed by the time you are next in the area.)

*makes mental note not to take motorcycle that way anytime soon*

Reactions: TJ63 and Adopado
One final post with some screenshots from TeslaMate covering the week we were away.

First the charge graph, then the drive stats, and finally the trip map.

BDEDF492-F220-4006-95C5-D6A4017FD39F.jpeg 4091C49E-4887-4BFD-8544-CD72062A8728.jpeg A8E65C53-41D0-4A02-A11B-C87DEAE3C022.jpeg

I've just returned from a week's holiday at Adopado's cottage and I can definitely echo Roy's recommendation for anyone who fancies a break up in the Scottish borders. It's a brilliant spot, plenty to see especially if you enjoy hiking.

Obligatory M3 photo attached and the trip map. I did a fair bit of driving about exploring, hard not to with those roads and that scenery.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_122212.jpg
    IMG_20200921_122212.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 2020-09-28 10_28_08-Road Trip Search.png
    2020-09-28 10_28_08-Road Trip Search.png
    859.3 KB · Views: 37
I've just returned from a week's holiday at Adopado's cottage and I can definitely echo Roy's recommendation for anyone who fancies a break up in the Scottish borders. It's a brilliant spot, plenty to see especially if you enjoy hiking.

Obligatory M3 photo attached and the trip map. I did a fair bit of driving about exploring, hard not to with those roads and that scenery.

Love FSD - the safe way to sightsee while driving (within reason!) :)

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado and Roy W.