TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Scrape to front underside

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Jeffruby, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Member

Guys,

Anyone pull up a tad to close to a curb or a a parking block and scrape the black plastic undercarriage under the nose.

Just did it .

Pulled up so slow and the parking sensor told me I had 10 more inches. Didn't even feel it. When I got out and saw I was on the curb I backed out (Shoulda lifted car first).

It's unnoticeable unless you rub fingers under black plastic. Feels grooved now. A touch on the bottom front of it too. I guess it was bound to happen. Seems easy to replace part but probably not worth it as its not visually noticeable anyway.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

It's gonna happen. :)

After 17 months, mine is now well-grooved for better aerodynamics. :)

3. iffatall

iffatall Member

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. :(
    Haven't considered replacing yet... for the same reasons you mentioned.

4. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Member

Hahaha. Makes me feel better. I probably did it a few times already and hadn't noticed. Amazing how I didn't even feel it. When I backed up I felt it drop a touch.

5. DingDingDao

DingDingDao Member

I'm so paranoid about this happening that I'm parking a good foot short of curbs until I get a better feel of where the limits of the car are. The parking sensors are problematic in that they can't detect curbs that are tall enough to scrape the undershield. If only there were a way to "aim" the sensors down a bit...

6. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I parked in a dirt lot one night in the rain. Weeds were hiding a cement parking block, so I parked far over it. The damage was done when backing out... it nearly ripped off that black piece on the drivers side. I only see it when I wash the car.

7. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

The irony is it probably wouldn't have happened if you had the coil suspension as the ride height is slightly higher!

8. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I've done it a couple times. I've also noticed with 5.9 that even if I set the car to high and then get out. It lowers once I get out. So I just park away from curbs. Just glad no one else can see that part of the car.

9. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

as some have suggested in other threads, back in to park if it is a problem. of course you end up with difficulties backing in straight. :biggrin:

10. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

I raise my suspension every day to park at work and clear the curb. Mine does not lower with 5.9. I noticed/heard a slight movement once and read somewhere on this forum that it is an auto-leveling adjustment to compensate for the people leaving the car. Not sure if that's true, but I do know it is not lowering. Otherwise I'd be sitting on a curb everyday!

Also, I love how much faster the suspension adjusts with 5.9!