Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scraping/Groaning sound while driving up incline and turning in parking garage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A

Alex Batista

Hello everyone. I'm new to the community and this is my first post.
I just received my Performance Model Y. I live in a high rise condo and I park on the forth floor. The drive way to go up each floor is very steep and narrow. It's actually an incline and tight turn to the left at the same time. My PMY makes a scrapping or grinding sounds for a few seconds as I turn and go up. At fist I thought the car was actually scraping but it's not that. Does it maybe have something to do with the tires not turning at the same speed as I turn and go up? Some motor sound?
It's very nerve racking and I'd like to know if its doing damage to the car. This also happened in a Model 3 I rented from Hertz once.
Thanks so much for the help and insight.

Since day one, my MYLR will grumble/groan/scrape while turning sharp right, with elevation change: transitioning from road surface through a deep gutter, rising into a driveway apron. I consider it normal.

I had a friend get down outside next to the car while I drove it slow up the ramp turning. It's definitely not scraping the bottom and none of the tires are hitting anything in the wheel well. It's a weird vibrating sound. I again wonder if it has something to do with one wheel turning faster than the other in this situation. I stopped someone else in my building with a MYLR and they said it happens to them also and they just ignore it. haha. I'd really love to know what the hell it is though.,

Reactions: Pianewman
I had a friend get down outside next to the car while I drove it slow up the ramp turning. It's definitely not scraping the bottom and none of the tires are hitting anything in the wheel well. It's a weird vibrating sound. I again wonder if it has something to do with one wheel turning faster than the other in this situation. I stopped someone else in my building with a MYLR and they said it happens to them also and they just ignore it. haha. I'd really love to know what the hell it is though.,
I have the same noise, did you ever get it fixed?

It may be the front motor engaging because it’s “senses” slippage due to the difference in rotational speed of the wheels. Mine does this every time I turn into my gym parking lots which is a steep incline + sharp turn.
Lucky yours went away.
I had this issue when I got the car about a year ago. Took it in, they said show us, so I did. Tech guy even looked to see if any scraping which there was none. They ended up dropping the battery and put some foam inside. Issue went away for a while. Then it's back again when the weather got cooler whenever I turn right into an inclined driveway or entrance/exit.
I'm almost sure (with reading everyone's issues with this all over the forum) that this is an issue with the metal that's around the battery pack flexing as just about everyone feels/hears it under the driver side floor.

We may be doing the usual "internet sleuthing", chasing sounds that are different.

Mine is NOT coming from underneath the cabin, but from the right front suspension...

"Since day one, my MYLR will grumble/groan/scrape while turning sharp right, with elevation change: transitioning from road surface through a deep gutter, rising into a driveway apron. I consider it normal."

Got my MYLR 2023, and it does the same sound when I am right turning (all the way) with an elevation change.
Sound does come from left front/under the driver's seat.....

it may be normal, but it doesn't sound healthy.... has anyone found out whats going on?