Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratch on side window...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my tesla model 3 sr+ 2 weeks ago and when I was driving today I noticed out of the corner of my eye a small scratch on the front side glass, i jumped out and checked and sure enough theirs a light scratch on the outside near the edge of window can just feel it with my finger....

Anyone have recommendation how to fix/repair? Is this something i'm going to end up paying SC to fix, or take it to detailing shop to fix?

foto_no_exif.jpg

On you would be my thought.

One could try, but after two weeks have gone by I think it might be hard for you to find a sympathetic service manager.

Tesla scratched two of my minimally tinted windows while replacing window regulators in the early Model 3's. They just did the work and didn't see the tint and got dirt on the lip of the window. I had photos of car going in and out. Had to fight tooth and nail to have them fixed even with photos pre and post shown at pickup of car.

Good luck.

Sadly its the state of that business/industry (automotive glass and glass repair -> replacement).

There are few and far between businesses that specialize in glass repair/refinishing and typically they steer clear of automotive glass. Fewer still that actually do automotive glass repair.

Can this exact scratch be repaired? Sure.
Will the repair likely introduce dozens to hundreds of micro scratches in place of this single scratch? You bet.
Will they look 'lovely' with direct sunlight (at sunrise or sunset, etc)? Yup.
Will there be a lensing or warping effect at the place of repair? Possibly. A lot depends on the level of experience and products used by the repairman... as always.

These are just some reasons why most glass 'repair' shops limit themselves to sizable rock chip or bullseye fills (ok initially, but as the resin ages and discolors with years of UV exposure - sad looking) and outright replacements of automotive glass.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin