Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratch repair / PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I took delivery of my Model Y Performance last weekend. Before leaving the lot, I noted 3 things to the delivery associate. 1 was fixed on site, the other 2 I was recommended to schedule a service appointment and things would be covered.
One of those 2 things is a scratch about 1cm long and another nick a few inches away (pic attched).
After speaking to my PPF installer, he advised that the scratch was deeper than I realized and would likely require a repaint of the panel (and the ones on either side if done correctly).
My question is, does anyone have experience with Tesla repairing paint that was damaged before delivery?
I'm weary to repaint half of a new car and I'm told it likely won't compare to factory in terms of durabilty since they outsource the work. That's also assuming Tesla offers to fix it correctly vs spot correction or single panel painting.
What would you do in this situation? I don't think it's worth returning over (can I? I'm within 7 days) and I plan on wrapping the car in full PPF. Does anyone have experience using the touchup paint? Should I wrap it and not even involve Tesla? (I've read some horror stories and would hate for this to turn into a rabbit hole).
Looking to get some feedback from the community.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220127_183302.jpg
    20220127_183302.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 341
  • 20220122_132521.jpg
    20220122_132521.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 284
Had front bumper repainted on M3 and after 2 years it is slightly off in color..factory defect around the headlights.That really sucks ...if it was me I would had declined to take delivery but oh well.... thing is after repaint you have to wait for it to cure.

Hi Everyone,

I took delivery of my Model Y Performance last weekend. Before leaving the lot, I noted 3 things to the delivery associate. 1 was fixed on site, the other 2 I was recommended to schedule a service appointment and things would be covered.
One of those 2 things is a scratch about 1cm long and another nick a few inches away (pic attched).
After speaking to my PPF installer, he advised that the scratch was deeper than I realized and would likely require a repaint of the panel (and the ones on either side if done correctly).
My question is, does anyone have experience with Tesla repairing paint that was damaged before delivery?
I'm weary to repaint half of a new car and I'm told it likely won't compare to factory in terms of durabilty since they outsource the work. That's also assuming Tesla offers to fix it correctly vs spot correction or single panel painting.
What would you do in this situation? I don't think it's worth returning over (can I? I'm within 7 days) and I plan on wrapping the car in full PPF. Does anyone have experience using the touchup paint? Should I wrap it and not even involve Tesla? (I've read some horror stories and would hate for this to turn into a rabbit hole).
Looking to get some feedback from the community.

Thanks!
That second picture makes me sick. But to mess up the whole door and some of the next for blending might make me just as sick! It looks low on the panel so maybe touch up by a detail oriented person could fix it "good enough". Only you and those you tell will know it's there. Tough call to reject. My MSLR is coming. If this was mine I would be pissed off but I won't reject.