Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratched a Model S Loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was given a Model S P85D as loaner while my Model 3 in service, I parked the car at work on the street and someone scratched the bumper and some of the paint came off.(the driver was gone, kind of hit and run) I tried to call the SC but they're closed. There is no major damages to bumper other than the paint and scruff mark. Has anything similar happened to you? Can I get the bumper fixed at a bodyshop of my choice?

I would prefer not to go through my own insurance as I have high deductible on it.

Thanks!

If you turn the car back over to them with the scratch Tesla will be the one to schedule a repair with the body shop of their choosing. You won't have any say.

How bad is the scratch?

Here is some pics I took when I fist saw it and later I wipe it with a microfiber. There is no crack or dent to the bumper.

Attachments

• foto_no_exif (3).jpg
    foto_no_exif (3).jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 528
  • foto_no_exif (4).jpg
    foto_no_exif (4).jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 414
  • foto_no_exif (5).jpg
    foto_no_exif (5).jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 385
  • foto_no_exif.jpg
    foto_no_exif.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 395
  • foto_no_exif (1).jpg
    foto_no_exif (1).jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 400
  • foto_no_exif (2).jpg
    foto_no_exif (2).jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 402
If the service center is busy (they usually are) they’ll never check. I know this because I’ve been given dirty, full of pine needles, coffee stains everywhere loaners before on multiple occasions. It is up to you to disclose the damage, your honesty scale needs to be tapped there.

PS: on one occassion I had a sinister thought of taking the RFS out of a loaner :D

It will be less obvious with a good hand application of liquid rubbing compound on those white areas which haven't gone all the way through the clear coat.

The black areas where the paint has been removed
Just take it back and explain the situation. 95% likelihood they're not going to hold you liable and will just send you on your way. The loaners I've had (with the exception of one brand new 75D with 50 miles on it) have all been beat to bloody hell.

Even better answer as it's a bit more ethical :)

If you feel that guilty just bring to a scratch and dent place and they can buff 90% of that out.

And BTW, if that were even my own car I would NEVER put an insurance claim in unless it’s over $5000 minimum. That would get reported to CarFax and you’d automatically lose thousands on resale.

A $1000 mirror ( no body work) that someone else admitted hitting and OTHER insurance company has paid on has Cost me $4500 (so far). $3000 on trade and my insurance went up when getting new insurance for model 3 because I had ANY claim even if not my fault.

And that’s not even getting into merit points if it was my fault.

On my recent Tesla loaner, the maintenance lead guy brought me to the car and had me inspect it with him. It was pretty “well used.” He even said that as long as the car comes back in similar condition, we are fine. He told me scrapes and “wear and tear” are just fine, major damage would be a different story.

Anyway, those scrapes shouldn’t be a big deal, unless it was a hyper-clean loaner.

I'm surprised at how many people are suggesting to not report it, get car dirty, return and hope they don't notice, etc. Just my opinion, but that's the kind of unethical mindset that also leads to hit and runs without leaving a note or other similar behavior. Yes the OP has a high deductible. Yes he accepted the loaner and is responsible for damage that occurs to the car while in his care (same as if he borrowed a friend's car or rented a car).

Be honest. Fess up. Tell the SC what happened, As others have said, it is most likely they'll say "don't worry about it." If they do say it has to be repaired, they'll get it repaired and give you the option of going through your insurance or paying the bill directly. In my opinion (which is worth exactly what you paid for it), that is the ONLY acceptable approach to what happened. Anything else (trying to cover it up/hide it/hope they don't notice) is unethical and I personally like to be able to look myself in the mirror. Clearly the majority of posters on this thread have a different approach to accepting responsibility for damage to something entrusted to their care. I hope they never ask to borrow/use anything of mine...

Last month when I was given a loaner, a dirty Nissan Sentra, no one walked around the car with me. They, Tesla Service Advisor, just gave me the key and off I went.

Dropping off was the same, just gave the key to the Tesla Service Advisor. Unfortunately, I forgot my backpack in the car and had to return later that day to pick it up. That was when the Enterprise rep (she admitted it was her 1st day on the job) showed me a dime size dent and is now trying to hold me responsible for it.
In front of her, I rubbed my finger over the paint that was transferred from the other car and none came off. To me that meant it was old, it had been there for a while. There were cracks on the paint and I told her to look under the cracked paint closely to see if there was dirt build-up which would indicate it was not fresh. I even mentioned to her to look up the inspection sheet from the previous renter to see if it was already there. Without agreeing to do any of that, she asked if my contact information was correct and that she would get a hold of me if she had any other questions.

Two weeks later I got a form letter from Enterprise telling me to contact my insurance company or credit card company to report this claim.
That letter does not mention what the damage is nor the cost.

F* them! I'm not claiming it. Enterprise can not prove the condition of the car when they gave it to me nor the condition when I dropped it off. The dent could of happened after it was in their possession but before she inspected it.

• Informative
Reactions: Nrazar