TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Scratched Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by highfalutintodd, Sep 5, 2013.

1. highfalutintodd

I've somehow managed to scratch the leather on my steering wheel:

tesla_steering.JPG

You can't really see it unless you're looking for it, but I feel it when I turn the wheel and it annoys the hell out of me. Plus, I don't want it to get any worse.

Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions as to how I could "repair" this?

2. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

A good interior shop that works on high-end collector cars should be able to hide that by smoothing it out and spot dying.

3. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

I have noticed the same (but less conspicuous) marks where my pager hits the bottom of the wheel during in/egress and also some marks from my wedding ring. Could a moisturizer of some sort help with the friability??

4. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Pager? How 1990's of you :smile:

5. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Haha, I know, sad

6. steve841

steve841 Active Member

My mother in law did something similar to my wife's car a few years back.... The second day after driving it off the lot.

She's banned for life from the driver's seat.

7. max35111

max35111 Member

Hi there! Just realized the same in my model S.
    Did you find an efficient way to minimize it? Mine is behind the steering wheel so one can't see it but it's really annoying to feel when touching the wheel. So no need to make it perfect, just not noticeable by touching it

Any idea?

8. Superman

Superman New Member

I have the exact same issue...but now have one behind the steering wheel and one exactly like the picture in the first post. I've reset the steering wheel so it's up higher...to prevent another scratch. If a software update could automatically move the steering wheel up and in during ingress/egress, that would be great. An auto interior repair shop (check with your local service rep, bc they will know of one) could probably minimize the scratch. Or, over time, it will blend in with the aging of the leather....just keep your hands sweaty and grab that wheel as much as possible! Autopilot insists you do so! haha!

Another option...replace it with a wood/leather wheel like this one: Tesla Gloss Obeche Steering Wheel - TSportline.com - Tesla Model S & Model X Accessories

You will rub against the wood instead of leather...

9. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

If you decide on a replacement, we make our own bespoke steering wheels in house. Carbon and alcantara is the most popular but we can use a material and stitch color of your choice as well.

IMG_5809_BE-2.jpg