Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratched Wheel at Delivery - Tesla wants to repair, not replace.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y got delivered last Tuesday, and one of two minor issues I found was that an aero cover was installed wrong (the metal clip on the cover was misaligned) and scratched the wheel. The scratch isn't huge, 3 small spots where the aero cover clips on, each spot is 2-4 mm long and rather deep through the coating on the wheel.

Tesla wants to schedule a company to come out and repair the wheel, instead of just replacing the whole thing. I feel like it should be replaced, what is everyones opinion on this? Should I push harder for them to get me a new wheel? Anyone else have experience with a wheel repair like this?

My Model Y got delivered last Tuesday, and one of two minor issues I found was that an aero cover was installed wrong (the metal clip on the cover was misaligned) and scratched the wheel. The scratch isn't huge, 3 small spots where the aero cover clips on, each spot is 2-4 mm long and rather deep through the coating on the wheel.

Tesla wants to schedule a company to come out and repair the wheel, instead of just replacing the whole thing. I feel like it should be replaced, what is everyones opinion on this? Should I push harder for them to get me a new wheel? Anyone else have experience with a wheel repair like this?

They can repair it in like 15 min and it will look PERFECT. I had mine fixed and the guy was a magician. 3 days later I rashed the same
rim BADLY and I called him out again and payed cash for the fix and he again, fixed it perfectly. I wouldn't stress about replacement
yet.

Took delivery of my Model Y 3 days ago. It was raining pretty bad so didn't "inspect" as thoroughly as I would have liked. When I got home and after the rain stopped and I looked closer, I noticed ALL my wheels were scratched pretty bad. I was almost in tears. I immediately called and was told to take pics and upload on the app/schedule a service appointment. My model Y was a test drive vehicle, but I asked (in email) prior to paying the down payment, if the car had any scratches, dents, etc. and was told no. I am so disappointed. Does anyone know if they will actually repair/remedy this issue or will they be difficult about it? I just don't understand how you can sell someone such an expensive vehicle with scratches all over the wheels. SO disappointing.

Took delivery of my Model Y 3 days ago. It was raining pretty bad so didn't "inspect" as thoroughly as I would have liked. When I got home and after the rain stopped and I looked closer, I noticed ALL my wheels were scratched pretty bad. I was almost in tears. I immediately called and was told to take pics and upload on the app/schedule a service appointment. My model Y was a test drive vehicle, but I asked (in email) prior to paying the down payment, if the car had any scratches, dents, etc. and was told no. I am so disappointed. Does anyone know if they will actually repair/remedy this issue or will they be difficult about it? I just don't understand how you can sell someone such an expensive vehicle with scratches all over the wheels. SO disappointing.
Not likely. Was your car discounted? If so that is likely the cause. I bought a demo M3 and was discounted and had one wheel with curb rash pretty bad. If you ask some one about dents and scratches they will likely report on the cars paint unless you specifically ask about the wheels. Wheel scratches seem to be pretty common in demo cars.

Not likely. Was your car discounted? If so that is likely the cause. I bought a demo M3 and was discounted and had one wheel with curb rash pretty bad. If you ask some one about dents and scratches they will likely report on the cars paint unless you specifically ask about the wheels. Wheel scratches seem to be pretty common in demo cars.
The car was not discounted at all, which makes it even more shocking that they delivered it with wheels in this condition. Maybe it was dumb of me to not ask for $ off or ask more specifics about the wheels. Still very disappointed. I hope they at least repair them for me.

The car was not discounted at all, which makes it even more shocking that they delivered it with wheels in this condition. Maybe it was dumb of me to not ask for $ off or ask more specifics about the wheels. Still very disappointed. I hope they at least repair them for me.
If there were no discounts for the damaged wheels, they will need to repair or replace. As long as you documented the condition they were received in, Tesla is required to fix them if they sold it as new without documenting any damages and adjusting price accordingly.

Reactions: preilly44
If there were no discounts for the damaged wheels, they will need to repair or replace. As long as you documented the condition they were received in, Tesla is required to fix them if they sold it as new without documenting any damages and adjusting price accordingly.
That makes me feel so much better. I have been so nervous about it. The second I saw the scratches I took pics and uploaded on the app when I scheduled the service appointment. It was 4 hours after I took delivery when I noticed and contacted them, so hopefully that helps my situation as well. Thanks for your reply.