Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratched windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR - 2022

During winter there must have been a small stone, or something, in the wiper blade which caused the windscreen to become scratched. at first i thought the glass was dirty but when the sun was out i can see its lightly scratched. if i lightly run by finger nail towards it i can feel the roughness but it doesn't stop the finger, so it isnt deep. but a long curve at about 40cm, to fade. its in drivers view so in the sun it is very annoying.

i've been through 4-5 cars and i have never had a scratched glass like this. glass seems very fragile [or cheap].

is there anything that can be done to rectify this without replacing the glass? the car hasn't even done 10k miles.

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
Does seem unusual but there is nothing inherently special about a Tesla windscreen so I would suggest google since your question will hit a much wider pool of knowledge and the experiences of owners of other types of car are likely to be perfectly relevant to you as well.

i've been through 4-5 cars and i have never had a scratched glass like this. glass seems very fragile [or cheap].
I've had this before on a previous car. It doesn't take much to scratch glass. A small bit of sharp grit caught in the wiper blade can easily cause this if it's there for a long time in wet weather when the wipers are used a lot.

MYLR - 2022

During winter there must have been a small stone, or something, in the wiper blade which caused the windscreen to become scratched. at first i thought the glass was dirty but when the sun was out i can see its lightly scratched. if i lightly run by finger nail towards it i can feel the roughness but it doesn't stop the finger, so it isnt deep. but a long curve at about 40cm, to fade. its in drivers view so in the sun it is very annoying.

is there anything that can be done to rectify this without replacing the glass? the car hasn't even done 10k miles.
Always amazed when people experience a common problem with their car and immediately try to blame "cheap Tesla".
Scratched windshields are common. I live in an area where there is a lot of grit on the road in winter and have to replace my windshields every few years (lots of different makes of cars). Over 50 years driving.
Google it.
Some scratches can be removed.

Always amazed when people experience a common problem with their car and immediately try to blame "cheap Tesla".
Scratched windshields are common. I live in an area where there is a lot of grit on the road in winter and have to replace my windshields every few years (lots of different makes of cars). Over 50 years driving.
Google it.
Some scratches can be removed.
Who said anyone is blaming Tesla?
The Ops issue is on a Tesla so he posted on a Tesla forum. It may have been a Tesla specific problem (its not) . How do you find that out? You ask the question on a Tesla forum. Let's not turn a simple question into a crusade shall we?

Reactions: Altes
MYLR - 2022

Got the same issue with my M3 within 2 weeks of a 3 year lease. Really annoyed at the beginning and thought the same - cheap Tesla glass - but the windscreen has been hit with a fair few stones without cracking! Nothing you can do - either get used to it or replace the windscreen. I’m privately hoping a stone does crack the windscreen as the £75 excess is much cheaper than the damage charge I’ll get at the end of the lease.

Reactions: KB2022
Who said anyone is blaming Tesla?
The Ops issue is on a Tesla so he posted on a Tesla forum. It may have been a Tesla specific problem (its not) . How do you find that out? You ask the question on a Tesla forum. Let's not turn a simple question into a crusade shall we?
From the OP

From the OP

i say cheap as its never happened to any previour car i've owned, even after 100k miles, and work vans never had scratched.

I've had this before on a previous car. It doesn't take much to scratch glass. A small bit of sharp grit caught in the wiper blade can easily cause this if it's there for a long time in wet weather when the wipers are used a lot.
just my luck i guess. gutted. can't afford replacing the glass at the moment. i'll have to live with it.

i say cheap as its never happened to any previour car i've owned, even after 100k miles, and work vans never had scratched.

just my luck i guess. gutted. can't afford replacing the glass at the moment. i'll have to live with it.
It has been a long time since I did my glass technology module at Uni but from memory I am not sure what step in the process people think Tesla are skipping to produce these alleged cheap soft windscreens?
Windscreen glass is windscreen glass, . It is not tempered on any windscreen as far as I know ( for various good reasons) its all just standard glass laminated with plastic. Hard but far from scratch proof

And no offence but you are not a statistically significant enough sample to make that determination after one scratch on one car. As you say just luck

Scratches can be polished out if not too deep and if that cant be done and its in your line of sight and is affecting vision then replacement ought to be covered by your insurance with a small excess (about £120 from Admiral for example)

Reactions: mspohr
It has been a long time since I did my glass technology module at Uni but from memory I am not sure what step in the process people think Tesla are skipping to produce these alleged cheap soft windscreens?
Windscreen glass is windscreen glass, . It is not tempered on any windscreen as far as I know ( for various good reasons) its all just standard glass laminated with plastic. Hard but far from scratch proof

And no offence but you are not a statistically significant enough sample to make that determination after one scratch on one car. As you say just luck

Scratches can be polished out if not too deep and if that cant be done and its in your line of sight and is affecting vision then replacement ought to be covered by your insurance with a small excess (about £120 from Admiral for example)
The good ol'daysvwhen windscreens were tempered and a stone ended up with lapfuls of glass bits and hours of vacuuming....there was the clearer middle section where the bits were bigger so it was possible to see through if the whole thing hadn't collapsed.
The hammer option to a new screen probably benefits with a bit of roadside stone as a drift for authenticity....

Try some glass cutting compound. Autoglym market one.

I’d avoid polishing the forward facing camera ‘window’.

As for the cheapness of the glass: it all depends on the harness of the debris.

Reactions: KB2022