Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratches acceptable on newly installed solar panels ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have just had my initial home assessment with Tesla completed on a 8.16 kW solar system and 2 Powerwalls. I have been lurking here and have learned quite a bit, thank you all.
My question is what level of what appear to be ( in web photos as least ) deep scratches on panels is acceptable on a new install? I would of course prefer pristine panels other than dust / finger prints etc.but as long as minor scuffs etc were purely cosmetic I would not be up that close anyway. I mainly ask since I read on a thread that a poster was having his/her panels replaced due to the possibility of scratches becoming eventual cracks / sources of moisture ingress.
Something like what appears to be a scratch on this lower panel (unless not nearly as bad as appears in person )
Note: not my install, from another thread

upload_2020-8-28_18-23-19.jpeg

Yes the footprint would annoy me as well, and having no idea how much weight they put on it ( not that I can see a need to put your foot on a panel during an install, but then I am not an installer).
But what if it were just the scratch? Would it be reasonable to request a replacement of any panel with a scratch such as this?

It does seem odd. I did notice that at one point during my install one of my installers stepped onto one of my panels and I was a bit concerned about it and I googled it at the time and what I saw seemed to say that stepping in the middle of the panel isn’t great, but stepping on the frame is OK. In my case I spent quite a lot of time watching my installers and I only saw them stepping onto them once, so I don’t think they were doing a lot of walking on the panels. I certainly didn’t have footprints all over them like that or anything. Although even in the above picture it looks like the footprints do all straddle the frames and seem even more concentrate in the corner, so it looks like the people walking on them did make an effort to step in the stronger places on the panels.

I definitely didn’t have any scratches like that on my panels and I would not be happy about that. I feel like there were two threads recently with people who had panels that got scratched like that. I think one of them said that tesla agreed to replace the damaged panels. I don’t know what would cause scratches like that either. In my case the installers were pretty careful as they moved the panels around and brought them up to the roof.

Ok thank you for the reply / info
Yes you are correct, those threads are what got me to thinking about the scratches.
If these scratches are not normal part of installation for most people here then I am justified in requesting replacement(s), hopefully will not happen. Just occurred to me I may come off as a bit pessimistic, I am normally not, really :p

If these scratches are not normal part of installation for most people here

I’ve been spending a lot of time here on the Tesla Energy forum since I ordered my solar system back in May, and even before that I visited this forum on and off as I was considering going solar. And those two recent threads are the only threads I’ve ever seen here about people who have had scratched panels on install day. It’s a bit disconcerting that there were two installs with scratched panels like that so close together, but it certainly is not the norm.

• Informative
Reactions: Electrph
Hello, I have just had my initial home assessment with Tesla completed on a 8.16 kW solar system and 2 Powerwalls. I have been lurking here and have learned quite a bit, thank you all.
My question is what level of what appear to be ( in web photos as least ) deep scratches on panels is acceptable on a new install? I would of course prefer pristine panels other than dust / finger prints etc.but as long as minor scuffs etc were purely cosmetic I would not be up that close anyway. I mainly ask since I read on a thread that a poster was having his/her panels replaced due to the possibility of scratches becoming eventual cracks / sources of moisture ingress.
Something like what appears to be a scratch on this lower panel (unless not nearly as bad as appears in person )

View attachment 581845

To me that doesn’t look like a scratch “in” the glass at least not on the top surface. When I zoom in I see the whole long line as small little lines, where as a crack on glass is a sharp clean line for the most part. Not sure about the look of a scratch across the surface but would think it would be some what similar.

Last edited:
If it is a scratch I would complain and try to get it replaced, even if the scratch doesn't interfere with production. It's like accepting a new car with a big scratch on the roof, it doesn't change how the car drives or performs, but the customer is paying for a new product which should be delivered that way. Also, if for any reason you need to sell the house soon the scratched panel could be used against you in negotiations.

Reactions: Alonzo
Hello...............

View attachment 581845

it is a scratch, you can see it on the edge of the frame. i wouldn't worry about it, it will not effect production. if it really bothers you complain.

If it is a scratch I would complain and try to get it replaced, even if the scratch doesn't interfere with production. It's like accepting a new car with a big scratch on the roof, it doesn't change how the car drives or performs, but the customer is paying for a new product which should be delivered that way. Also, if for any reason you need to sell the house soon the scratched panel could be used against you in negotiations.

OP states these are not his pictures / not his install.