Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratches on the Backup / Rear view Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My backup camera became quite blurry.

Upon further investigation, I noticed it has many micro scratches on the surface.

I am wonder anyone has any suggestions / methods to polish and get rid of these scratches.

I saw some suggestions to use toothpaste, car polish compound. Or I should consider other types of abrasives?

Thanks!

BackupCam.jpg

Identica

Upon further investigation, I noticed it has many micro scratches on the surface.

I am wonder anyone has any suggestions / methods to polish and get rid of these scratches.

I saw some suggestions to use toothpaste, car polish compound. Or I should consider other types of abrasives?

Thanks!

View attachment 564955

Identical issue on my 2018 Model 3, 70,000k miles in Colorado. Same question, any ideas?

Must have a plastic lense to look that bad.

Figure out if it's plastic or not. Then maybe try to polish it out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_c4TxFbK1NQQYX

I don't know what this wipe new stuff is but I put it on my dad's headlights and it seems to fill the scratches with a hard clear coating. The secret is only do one wipe. I would try it but that's just me. Can't verify it would work. It's for headlights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FLKA7BA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-6TxFbNTFCRRC

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: smatthew

Thanks!

View attachment 564955
Did you sort out what was going on with your backup camera?
Mine has become blurry too. Nowhere near that many scratches. Seems like my lens in distorted throwing out the focus.

There were scratches on the Leaf's backup camera lens. It was so bad that it looked as if the lens was frosted (amplified by the dinky screen). This was from Denise taking the Leaf through a car wash. The Dremel with jeweler's rouge got rid of them in a few seconds and the image was like new. No issues with either the S (over seven years) or the X (a few months) but they never go through a car wash.

My 2020 M3 had this same issue.
Rear camera view was a bit blurry and looked almost as bad as in the Hut's photo:
before.jpg

I got some turtle paint cleaner without rubbing compound, so thought to test with that and then waxed the polished surface:
after.jpg

Its still not perfect, but definitely a much better than before.
I tested first with wax only, but it did not have any effect on the scratches.
This took maby 2-minutes overall so not much rubbing or polishing was needed.. so I don't think that those were actually scratches, but maby some surface treatment or just dirt collected. Though looked like scratches like seen from photo.