Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratches on Windshield Caused by M3 Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I lately noticed scratches on my Model 3 windshield. They are very fine hair like scratches and could be seen at night or during bright, cloudless days with the sun. It is clear that all scratches ran tangential to the path of the windshield wipers.
Have you noticed this on yours? Any thought.

* Jun 2018 delivery. Going to Petro Canada touchless SuperWash twice a week since beginning of the Winter. Could wiper rubbers become hard because any of Triple-foam cleanser / Body Gloss wax / Clear coat protector cycle wash?

Hi,
I lately noticed scratches on my Model 3 windshield. They are very fine hair like scratches and could be seen at night or during bright, cloudless days with the sun. It is clear that all scratches ran tangential to the path of the windshield wipers.
Have you noticed this on yours? Any thought.

* Jun 2018 delivery. Going to Petro Canada touchless SuperWash twice a week since beginning of the Winter. Could wiper rubbers become hard because any of Triple-foam cleanser / Body Gloss wax / Clear coat protector cycle wash?

Any of the ‘super washes’ are going to use some kind of liquid ‘wax’. They can tend to cause streaking and dry on the wiper blades. You can clean the blades with isopropyl alcohol. I was advised by a detailer that if I use no-touch washes to get the basic wash. Water, soap and more water.

Reactions: Big Earl
It's a micro layer of dirt. Put your wipers on "Service Mode" for these next few days of freezing rain and you'll notice lines where the wipers are. It'll clean off with some elbow grease, micro fiber towel, and light detergent.

The scratches are formed when you use the wiper with ice still on your windshield, sheering away streaks on the micro layer of dirt.

I have noticed some significant streaks to my windshield as well that have definitely been caused by the wipers and are noticeable at night. I definitely had to use them with some ice on them over some bad weather this winter but they look significant enough that I wouldn’t think they will clean away. I’ll try but I’m very concerned if some ice can cause permanent damage to the windshield as I’ve never experienced this problem in my previous cars.

All the scratches are on my driver side wiper. I am pretty sure the scratches caused by the wiper itself. The mobile ranger keeps telling me it caused by sand or other elements but I argued that. What's the possibility that sand only spreads on the driver side of the windshield and not all over. There is not a single scratch can be found on the passenger side. He is saying rubber does not scratch glass and I am saying a hard rubber over a time can. He changed the wiper and its going to be escalated. I haven't heard back yet.