Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratches - Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed I have been getting scratches as show on the picture. I am hoping it is just the clear coat.

Any recommendations for repair?

Attachments

• IMG_20150816_125745.jpg
    IMG_20150816_125745.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 502
Your car has a lot of damage to the clearcoat. The question arises: how much are you willing to do and/or spend to do it?

If you run your finger along the scratch, and your fingernail catches the scratch, then the scratch is probably too deep to remove with conventional correction and polishing. On the other hand, if your fingernail does not catch that scratch, you might be able to reasonably remove that scratch and others by compounding and polishing the car.

In general, it looks like that hood has quite a bit of swirling as well as water spot damage. You would need to thoroughly wash the car, decontaminate the car with clay, likely compound, and polish the entire car. This can be a lot of work and takes a lot of practice. However, if you can accomplish it, much of the damage can be undone.

Your car has a lot of damage to the clearcoat. The question arises: how much are you willing to do and/or spend to do it?

If you run your finger along the scratch, and your fingernail catches the scratch, then the scratch is probably too deep to remove with conventional correction and polishing. On the other hand, if your fingernail does not catch that scratch, you might be able to reasonably remove that scratch and others by compounding and polishing the car.

In general, it looks like that hood has quite a bit of swirling as well as water spot damage. You would need to thoroughly wash the car, decontaminate the car with clay, likely compound, and polish the entire car. This can be a lot of work and takes a lot of practice. However, if you can accomplish it, much of the damage can be undone.
Thanks for the suggestion! It is not deep to the nail, appears just clear coat. The water stain is tough to get dried probably with the extreme heat. I am going to try to do another clean when its not so hot out.

Thanks for the suggestion! It is not deep to the nail, appears just clear coat. The water stain is tough to get dried probably with the extreme heat. I am going to try to do another clean when its not so hot out.

We have hard water that leaves water stains also. To avoid this I use a power washer that has a tank for additives. A small amount of Jet-Dry (used for dishwashers) as a final rinse works very well and seems to somewhat repel subsequent water drops, such as from a rain shower.

We have hard water that leaves water stains also. To avoid this I use a power washer that has a tank for additives. A small amount of Jet-Dry (used for dishwashers) as a final rinse works very well and seems to somewhat repel subsequent water drops, such as from a rain shower.
Interesting idea with Jet Dry. Would you have any concerns that the chemicals that would strip the wax off?