TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Scratches

Discussion in 'Model S' started by caps04, Apr 7, 2015.

1. caps04

caps04 Member

My brand new baby is already scarred in a few places with scratches near the bottom of the doors. No idea how but the paint looks very vulnerable to it.

Is the Tesla touch-up paint any good?

Tesla Gear Shop Model S Touch-Up Paint

If not, any other suggestions? Thanks!

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It's usually quite difficult to use factory touch-up paint pens and brushes on scratches. They're far more useful for stone chips.

I've had great success with Dr. Colorchip for scratches in the past, but with an MC Red car I'm not sure if they can get the paint close enough. Might not hurt to ask. Another alternative is to look into Langka. It uses factory paint, but allows for a smooth finish. Essentially you blob paint over the scratch and use this to lightly wipe away the excess, leaving paint only in the scratch. I haven't used Langka personally, but reviews are excellent. I'll probably give it a try if I ever get paint damage I want corrected.

That's assuming you need paint. If it's not too serious, it may just buff out with polishing compound. You could do that yourself or enlist a detailer to do it for you.

3. taurusking

taurusking Member

Post some pics so we can see...may be there is a model s owner in New Jersey or New york area who can suggest detailers

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have the somewhat new Steel Grey and Tesla STILL has not come out with the color for touch ups. I contacted Dr. Colorchip and they were not 100% confident that they could match. I spoke to Tesla and they did not have a color code for it (REALLY??) I guess that I need to be patient. Fortunately, I have very few issues so far. I have learned, FWIW, that I should never use the stock applicators or pens that come in the tube. I use a toothpick or other very fine tip with the smallest amount of a dab and that seems to work best. It takes tons of patience, but I build it up to just fill the hole, scratch or whatever. And I am a novice at doing it. It would be great to have a pro weigh in on this.

5. caps04

caps04 Member

I took the car for a hand wash to a highly recommended and reviewed place (Yelp) and it's now all covered with swirl marks. So now it's scratched and swirled. They couldn't even get the bugs out of the plastic nose cone.

So I'm wondering what my long term options are:

1) Detail it now and every few months
    2) Wash the car myself every week at least while the weather is warm
    3) Take it to a touchless place but people say the chemicals they use are strong and bad for the paint
    4) Get it wrapped (don't want to TBH - cost and look)
    5) Get it Opti-coated

I am guessing I may do 1, 5, 2 and 3 in winters. Suggestions?

6. invisik

invisik Member

I've also found the paint is very sensitive to swirling and whatnot. It does sound like much of that could probably buff out. Ask your Service Center or other local high-end car place where to take it.

I've reduced to only 1. using a touchless car wash that I personally hand dry and 2. letting the Service Center wash it however they do it--those are the only two ways I allow the car to be cleaned or touched.

I don't know about the chemicals of the touchless, but in the year of ownership, it seems to be ok.

The best option by far is to wash by hand..... I generally don't have time or patience for that, so touchless seems to be the next best thing for me.

-m

7. redox

redox Member

What I would do is fix the swirls and get it opti-coated.
    I got my OC on the day of the delivery (mid dec 2014), and as of today, the car has NOT needed any wash: I simply use a microfiber towel with detailing spray occasionally when some part looks a bit dirty or when I need to take out bugs/contaminants. This is fairly rare with my color (pearl white).
    I went for OC because I don't want to spend time washing and waxing. The OC makes it very easy to "wipe off" stuff, and saves me time.

I wouldn't take it to any place for a wash. If/when it needs a wash, I'll do it. Nobody will care about your paint like you do.

-- Greg

8. marchyman

marchyman Member

Let the car get dirty. Wash it your self every month or three.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

When did you take delivery? The paint, at least in my experience, seems to be very soft at delivery. Granted I picked up at the factory so it didn't have any travel time, but the first week I had it I literally put a mark in the paint with the pad of my thumb. Shocked, I didn't wash or really even touch it for a few months, and its been fine since. It seems like they could use a little more time to let the paint harden.

I have Opti-coat on mine. Essentially I do your #3 every couple weeks and hand dry it with a soft cloth (note we don't really have "winter"). You get some swirl marks over time, but mine still looks excellent. Very, very few swirls. I figure it'll be due for a detail again at the 2yr mark.

10. JPP

JPP Active Member

I would emphasize the need/utility of OptiCoat or another similar protective coating. I had mine applied a couple of months after I took delivery in 2013, after noticing how easy it was to create small swirls/scratches even with very careful hand washing. I just had my OptiCoat tuned up this week and OptiGloss applied by my local pro detailer. The car looks amazing--perfect paint. Wash it 2x/week at a commercial 'off line' car wash, no babying, parked outside all day. YMMV.

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Will the service center really practice what's needed to wash your carl without scratching it? It takes more time to do it right. I will never let anyone but me wash it and I'll be sure to emphasize to the SC to never ever wash it.

12. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

Depends on the SC I guess. I wouldn't let our SC wash mine until they hired a dedicated detailer on their staff. Even then, I wouldn't let him work on it until I got to know him, his background and see his work on some of the loaners. He knows his stuff and does great work--I always let him clean my car now. Talk with your SC staff--get to know them...especially the detailer, if they have one!