Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screeching Noise when in Park/Reverse and Wheel Turned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I curbed my front drivers rim going in reverse a few MPH. Just some cosmetic damage and not worried about it.

However, I noticed when I now turn the steering wheel while in park/reverse (but not moving) it will make a lurching/screeching sound when moving the wheel around. The noise is not made while in Hold, and it doesn’t appear to make the noise when actually driving even at low speeds.

I’ve searched high and low and have seen potential causes like suspension or upper control arms. Tesla took a quick look by going on a minute test drive and said wheels seemed aligned (don’t think it was tested when not in motion which is when it happens).

Any thoughts here? Thanks so much!

Does it sound like an air wrench when you move the steering wheel back and forth? If so, have someone sit in the car and move the steering wheel back and forth while you are outside the car to isolate the sound.

Taking a video with sound to show the Tesla Service Center helps too. I've uploaded videos to YouTube and provided the URL to them in a service request before.

Does it sound like an air wrench when you move the steering wheel back and forth? If so, have someone sit in the car and move the steering wheel back and forth while you are outside the car to isolate the sound.

Taking a video with sound to show the Tesla Service Center helps too. I've uploaded videos to YouTube and provided the URL to them in a service request before.
Thanks for the response - not quite like an air wrench. More like a heavy groan and the body sways a decent amount (maybe a vertical inch and a bit side to side) as the wheel turns.

Good idea on getting someone else to help and the YouTube video!