TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Screen acting like fingers touching it over and over again

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by thx1139, Mar 27, 2017.

1. thx1139

thx1139 Member

We have an occasional issue which at first appeared to only be in the Navigation screen. Seems to mostly happen when we are on a road trip. Driving along and then the screen starts acting like we are tapping around on it. It increases in size it decreases in size. It change which navigation view we are using. The navigation search screen pops up. Sometimes it then changes where we are going. Now it also appears to be happening with other screens displayed as well.

I have mentioned it to service advisors, but of course since you cant always reproduce it is hard for them to diagnose. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Have tried to reboot screen (press brake and press both roller buttons on steering wheel).

We have an 85D

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

Unplug anything you have put in the USB ports.

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Clean the screen with clean mode and then reboot. If the issue comes back, remember the contextually relevant information, then try to reproduce, then take a video.

4. Kalud

Kalud Active Member

This is a known issue the service center should know about. Its related to a bad grounding of the screen.

5. redi

redi 2013 P85+ http://ts.la/dale2363

I had this issue. Bad MFD. Replaced by Tesla under warranty. The SC said they could cause it to happen by resting their knee on the padded trim in the lower left side but I never did notice this.

The SC also checked carefully around the display and under the trim. They said sometimes bits of stuff or using the improper cleaning cloth cause things to get stuck around the edges causing the issue.

6. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I also had this when I had a build up of static electricity on the dash. I think it was related to whatever I used to wipe it down.

7. thx1139

thx1139 Member

Thanks for the replies. I will be calling the Service Center about this. I have mentioned it to them multiple times since it first occurred in December.