Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen bubbles - not center touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverSp33d3r

No Longer Silver
May 23, 2018
LA
This afternoon I got into my car to find this gem. Bubbles in the speedometer screen.
5858F9F2-3DEF-4EA1-805B-E8E81E02F19F.jpeg
D6209515-E8C1-407B-9F22-69111E39840F.jpeg
Has anyone experienced this? It’s growing larger by the hour. I’m about to take a 1000 mile road trip, what’s the likelihood of the screen completely failing?
2014 December build Model S60.

I've seen at least another owner who posted photos of this happening to his car here on TMC. So your not alone. Maybe you can locate his post and see what they did.

Searching Model S forum for "bubbles screen" and found this for a DIY possible repair since out of warranty: HELP REQUESTED - Removal of driver side instrument cluster

Here's another one thread issue on this problem: Bubble on instrument cluster

Let us know what you end up doing?

Last edited:
I've seen at least another owner who posted photos of this happening to his car here on TMC. So your not alone. Maybe you can locate his post and see what they did.

Searching Model S forum for "bubbles screen" and found this for a DIY possible repair since out of warranty: HELP REQUESTED - Removal of driver side instrument cluster

Here's another one thread issue on this problem: Bubble on instrument cluster

Let us know what you end up doing?

Thanks I tried searching but my description wasn’t coming up with anything other than the yellowing screen. I’ll contact service and see what happens.

Reactions: SMAlset
I did see another dash display do this in a post here. We had a display bubble but it was the larger center display. If you're under warranty they'll just come & replace it. It wasn't a big deal at all & my wife's Model S got a free upgrade to the 1080p from the 720p & it looks glorious. It was even the newest 3rd version so time will tell if it gets bubbles or yellow border but hopefully the 3rd time is the charm.

This afternoon I got into my car to find this gem. Bubbles in the speedometer screen.
View attachment 429010
View attachment 429011
Has anyone experienced this? It’s growing larger by the hour. I’m about to take a 1000 mile road trip, what’s the likelihood of the screen completely failing?
2014 December build Model S60.

I doubt the screen will "completely" fail. If all of the liquid was gone, the graphics being displayed may not look as sharp or have as much contrast.

If that liquid is for cooling the display then it would get hot and begin to warp.

My 2013 Model S developed a few small bubbles last summer. They have expanded to a 6" line across the bottom of the screen. The vehicle has 69,00 miles on it. Even over the winter, the bubbles have expanded. This is clearly an adhesive (factory) issue, no matter the mileage. It should be a recall issue. Wake up TESLA, your customers need attention after they spend the BIG bucks.

@Wfouty - It's not a safety issue as the display is completely visible - it just doesn't look nice. Agree it appears to be a design fault by the OEM display manufacturer. Sorry to say the warranty period doesn't extend indefinitely no matter the fault - just like how all other vehicle brands handle problems that occur after the warranty expires. We have to pay for the fix. The slightly good news is the replacement display appears to have corrected the design fault.

It also may be worth considering an MCU2 retrofit. For your car, it's about $1750 and includes a new MCU2, a new main display, and a new instrument cluster with a new display. It also includes LTE if your car doesn't have it now. Labor is included. Note that AM/FM/XM radio will no longer work (it's analog) and if you want FM/XM, it's an extra $500 to have the newer digital radio installed too. The radio doesn't need to be installed at the same time, so you can hold off if budget is an issue.

Reactions: aerodyne