Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Burn-In?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking to buy a used Model X. I was looking at a 2018 on Carvana, and one of the pictures showed burn-in on the the lower part of the center display.

Has anyone had any issue with screen burn-in on either of the X's screens?

Is this something I need to look out for when buying a used Tesla? Would Tesla replace this under warranty, or would they say "normal wear & tear"?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2001112274-manual-09-closeup.jpg
    2001112274-manual-09-closeup.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 215
Burn-in on an LCD screen is unusual but the photo appears to show latent images. My 4 year old MX 100D shows no signs of burn-in. The orange border is the adhesive used to assemble the screen. There is some information about fixing it yourself but you can also damage your screen if you do it incorrectly. Tesla has a UV lamp assembly that fits over the screen and controls the exposure so the UV light clears up the discoloring of the adhesive. I had it done under warranty about 2 years ago and it cleared up the screen for me but I have heard of some folks who were charged for the repair. For a price, Tesla will replace the screen.

Reactions: peety3
I wouldn't worry too much @Castaway. Looking at the picture, it actually seems like a problem with the picture itself. It looks like it was taken with a longer exposure and the camera man moved a little.

Those icons (Controls, Music player, App launcher, Seat heater) never move along the UI, they are fixed, so they would not cause a burn-in that could be visible with the screen on.

If it is still under warranty, Tesla will fix for free. If you ever have it in at Tesla SC for something else, they may take care of this for your for free or cheap using their UV rig. Not all SC's have the rig, or at least last year they didn't. I had it on mine and didn't even notice until someone mentioned it, and then that's all I could see, lol. Not a big deal and does not affect usage.