Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Capture Of HW Config from 100kWh Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also wonder how much it will weigh...presumably it won't have a Plaid drivetrain just yet.

For those of you who don't like to click on tweets:
EakA6A-X0AAk-0U.jpg

I expect this is just a matter of time before it becomes a reality... but I don't expect it prior to Plaid S/X being produced. Maybe next year at this time we have a Ludacris 3/Y with 100kwh pack (and air suspension). I know I'd think about upgrading to the Y version if that came to pass.

As I said, can't vouch for the veracity of the screen capture.
I have no idea from an energy density standpoint whether it's possible to increase capacity by 33%
with current (or very shortly upcoming) technology.
In the case of the Model Y, the front and rear seats have been raised about 6" in comparison with the Model 3.

Would it be possible to add some more batteries under the front and the rear seats?

Model-Y-Floor-Mat-Rear-Seat-Installed_1200x.jpeg

Not happening. I could share more details but the moderators will most likely take credit for what I post, so I won’t.

So the general impression I get from the comments is that this has probably been done, but it's not being developed at this time. But as usual, who knows...

Long term, of course, it will likely happen - 100kWh with similar weight would be awesome and would be nearly to the point where range was no longer an issue even for most intrepid road travelers . Haven't worked through the numbers on the Roadster pack, but guessing large capacities are going to have to be crammed into small spaces at some point, somehow.

I'd love to replace our 2014 Model S with a 400 mile Model Y (sorry I prefer the 3 to the S so therefore the Y to the X - especially with the flappy doors) but I don't think this is likely to happen until Tesla is not constrained on battery volume or price. Adding 1/3 to the capacity of the Model 3 or Y means they displace 25% less ICE vehicles if they are battery production constrained when the range is already great for most people most of the time.

Reactions: Pluglife
It's not the Tesla way to simply cram more batteries in a car like the Model 3. Instead, they use clever engineering to increase efficiency (see OctoValve). Also, the range of the Model 3 is very adequate, even if it managed to receive a range of 400mi with 100kWh (which I doubt they'd do as it would infringe of the sales of their highest margin vehicle), that really isn't much of a game changer for real world use. It would mostly be helpful for a select subset of road trippers, and those who live somewhere without a charging outlet. Meanwhile, the cost of the Model 3 would go up significantly...

My opinion, based on this being a direct screenshot of the MCU output and not a photo in an actual Model 3, is that someone flipped on the existing 100kWh flag we knew about months ago from green, or it's photoshopped. I don't believe Tesla will bother changing the battery in the Model 3 unless they design a significantly new type of cell/battery design that decreases weight or can accept a higher charge rate, which is what most folks should desire more so than range. My desire is to stop every 200mi and add 60% in 5 minutes, or sometime similar to a gas station experience. That will get people to switch...

• Informative
Reactions: Kuhz