Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Changes with New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not in favor of going back. We must look forward to better things, and hopefully some of our gripes with the new interface will be listened to and acted upon. Tesla has in the past been good at listening and reacting, so I expect the interface will be tweaked and improved, and I am really looking forward to the new-and-improved FSD.

Reactions: RNHurt
I’m just wondering how many here would rather go back to the prior software version (before the screen changes)? I’m just not sure the most recent updates made anyone really happy. I know they are getting ready for FSD, but why couldn’t they have just waited....rather than leave us with a screen that looks worse (in my opinion) and has lots of empty space and harder-to-see controls.

Re getting ready for FSD - For those of us who paid good money for a car we want to drive, and are eschewing the FSD vaporware, forcing this downgraded U/I on us is not right.

I have windows out of which to look. I depend on the Mark 1 Mod 1 eyeball and connected accessories to navigate life when driving or not. This current version of the U/I makes things worse, since I can no longer see certain functions, have to fumble with the touchscreen for things which are not implemented with voice controls, and take my eyes off the road for too long trying to decipher illegible items either too small or too dim.

And yes, dammit! Not all of us have 20/20 eyesight, and drive in perfect visibilty conditions - sun glare totally wipes out the tiny fonts, grey text and icons. Squinting at the screen trying to focus on important items while dodging the idiots in a traffic impaired freeway is not my idea of a safe driving experience.

I still posit that the designers of this U/I NEVER drove a Tesla in realtime.

Re getting ready for FSD - For those of us who paid good money for a car we want to drive, and are eschewing the FSD vaporware, forcing this downgraded U/I on us is not right.

I have windows out of which to look. I depend on the Mark 1 Mod 1 eyeball and connected accessories to navigate life when driving or not. This current version of the U/I makes things worse, since I can no longer see certain functions, have to fumble with the touchscreen for things which are not implemented with voice controls, and take my eyes off the road for too long trying to decipher illegible items either too small or too dim.

And yes, dammit! Not all of us have 20/20 eyesight, and drive in perfect visibilty conditions - sun glare totally wipes out the tiny fonts, grey text and icons. Squinting at the screen trying to focus on important items while dodging the idiots in a traffic impaired freeway is not my idea of a safe driving experience.

I second this and would like to go back to the old UI.
There is nothing better in this update. Even if FSD existed and I had it, I would still prefer a map to an imperfect cg representation of what is in front of me.

Initially I disliked the new GUI update.

It would help if Tesla explained why they make changes. But they don’t.

Now I think the new GUI is designed for FSD. Basically we are supposed to use the routing for every drive. So when you get into the Tesla you tell it where to go. For every trip.

Then the GUI makes sense.

I like the idea of moving some of the often used controls to the bottom of the screen. They are definitely more accessible. Other than that, I don't play games so those "improvements" are needless, and all the blank space is ... just blank space. We chose not to purchase the vapor ware FSD so that explanation DNA. For us the "fire fire" update is more of a dumpster fire.

Reactions: colea

There are things that I dislike, but isn't this a bit of hyperbole? What are you trying to see now while dodging traffic that is really meaningfully different? The gear icons? Not something you'd use in traffic. The speed? I don't have a problem with it, though digital is still more cognitive load in general, IMO.

The AP setting? I rarely look at it, and certainly not while "dodging the idiots". I just don't see what all the fuss is about either way, tbh.

Now I think the new GUI is designed for FSD. Basically we are supposed to use the routing for every drive. So when you get into the Tesla you tell it where to go. For every trip.

Last time I told my tesla where to go(Duke Farms), it was 2 roads (1 with a stop and turn so maybe that counts as three) and about 5+ miles. It recognized my voice (i.e. the translation was accurate). It gave me directions to a Dunkin' Donuts about 20-25 miles away. But I will admit it did send me past Duke Farms. Oh, and it's not like it doesn't know about DF. I had previously navigated me there several prior times.

I have FSD but it scares the crap out of me. It will come racing up to a stop or light and then hit the brakes hard. It doesn't slow down for hairpin turns. It constantly does phantom braking. I'm hoping that the next version actually works at least a little. I should have saved the money and taken a 1/4 of it for boost.

I have FSD but it scares the crap out of me. It will come racing up to a stop or light and then hit the brakes hard. It doesn't slow down for hairpin turns. It constantly does phantom braking. I'm hoping that the next version actually works at least a little. I should have saved the money and taken a 1/4 of it for boost.

Ugh, I was really hoping that FSD would fix the traffic light thing. As it is, AP behaves really poorly in stop & go traffic, IMO.

I thnik the new GUI is fine, I don't love it but it's fine.
I think what Tesla should do is make it customizable, so the driver can put whatever control on the bottom, slide the devider left/right/up/down to suit any preferences. Allow adjustment to the backup camera display, so the right side camera display is bigger when doing parallel parking. Let the driver change font sizes and colors.

Reactions: Futuresystem
I thnik the new GUI is fine, I don't love it but it's fine.
I think what Tesla should do is make it customizable, so the driver can put whatever control on the bottom, slide the devider left/right/up/down to suit any preferences. Allow adjustment to the backup camera display, so the right side camera display is bigger when doing parallel parking. Let the driver change font sizes and colors.

Yep!

I think this is just a first iteration, and that it will improve.
When I first received it, I was not happy..... but weeks on and I’ve grown to like MOST of it.
VERY BIG Improvements include rear camera selection always available at the bottom of the screen, Nav turn info always there even if you have something else (eg Music) maximised.

Fails still include :
1. The window size (there have been plenty of hints that that will be able to change in the future.)
2. Fonts: small font speed, and “gear” selected, ie: PRND - that was dumb, no doubt from young software engineers who don’t realise that our near vision typically goes downhill as we age. Fix in the pipeline? Sure hope so.
3. Reverse camera size view. (Refer to 1. Hopefully will be adjustable, but still about 10 thousand percent better than most other cars.)

So since day one I have come to like it more, but it still needs work.
However IMHO it certainly is NOT the total disaster than some people suggest.

There’s a lot of just plain stupid. If the camera button is now always visible, why is it shown again in the car menu that opens right above it? Why is the newest added preset the furthest away from the driver, mostly hidden and almost impossible to select? And the turn signal indicators should be right at the top where you can see them.

A39E9F54-927E-4F97-8B41-EB29C51B32EE.jpeg

D3A6B0D7-1248-4978-83A0-B219944F6638.jpeg

Last time I told my tesla where to go(Duke Farms), it was 2 roads (1 with a stop and turn so maybe that counts as three) and about 5+ miles. It recognized my voice (i.e. the translation was accurate). It gave me directions to a Dunkin' Donuts about 20-25 miles away. But I will admit it did send me past Duke Farms. Oh, and it's not like it doesn't know about DF. I had previously navigated me there several prior times.

Unless you are on the very limited beta you dont have FSD.

If I have the radio screen maximized, is there a quick way to send it back down to the single-row view along the bottom of the map with one tap? Or is swiping it down from full view to medium-sized view and again from medium-sized view to single-row view the only way?

If there was some little downward-pointing arrow I could tap to quickly shrink the radio screen, I would like that very much.

I beg to differ. It would make sense:
1) IF you could ACTUALLY READ many of the indicators
2) IF you had ANY desire to use FSD

I realize the screen adjustments were made to prepare for the new FSD that requires more real estate. However I do have a couple of complaints:-

The regen line is too narrow, hard to see, and the no-regen-available dots are invisible. Please just widen the line.

I would move the speed limit sign to the far right, too much congestion with the other speed-related icons on the left.

The use of grey text on white background makes things hard to read, the major one for me being the miles-remaining number. The gear position letters are also hard to read but I never use them anyway. Some people may.

Looking forward to the new FSD.

Yes, I appreciate the fact that Tesla employs young GUI designers and programmers, they produce fantastic user interface, in the best car in the world.
However- with their good, young and healthy eyesight they forget that most drivers wear glasses, polarized sunglasses or just see less sharply. What you see from there, we don't see from here....

So please, Tesla GUI designers:
* Increase the size of the letters on the display
* Increase the text contrast (not grey, but black digits)
* Widen the important dynamic regen line