Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Changes with New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are things that I dislike, but isn't this a bit of hyperbole? What are you trying to see now while dodging traffic that is really meaningfully different? The gear icons? Not something you'd use in traffic. The speed? I don't have a problem with it, though digital is still more cognitive load in general, IMO.

The AP setting? I rarely look at it, and certainly not while "dodging the idiots". I just don't see what all the fuss is about either way, tbh.
"What are you trying to see now while dodging traffic that is really meaningfully different?"

My major complaint is that the fonts are too small to be easily and quickly readable when switching my view from out the window to the screen. Also, the grey text on white background is less legible.
What am I trying to see?
A quick glance at my "fuel gauge"
What is the outside temp?
What time is it?
I guess these could be accessed with a voice command, but at present thay do not appear to be.

Don't be silly. I don't look at the gear indicator when I am driving. I get a pretty good indication of that by the seat of my pants. However, if there is a need to put the indication on the screen, why not make it LEGIBLE?. The same goes for the regen/discharge indicator. You can't see the display now, let alone the dots indicating the state of regen braking.

There is no hyperbole when referring to traffic on Stemmons Freeway in Dallas. Or the 405 in LA. Or r the Long Island Expressway in New York. Just to name a few. All of which I have driven, and certainly there are others - Chicago comes to mind.

If I have the radio screen maximized, is there a quick way to send it back down to the single-row view along the bottom of the map with one tap? Or is swiping it down from full view to medium-sized view and again from medium-sized view to single-row view the only way?

If there was some little downward-pointing arrow I could tap to quickly shrink the radio screen, I would like that very much.

I stand corrected - this morning I tried tapping the swipe bar at the top of the maximized music screen, and it instantly shrank down to single-row view. So I’m happy with that.

Guys, seriously .. if you think the UI is that bad, tell Tesla .. tweet at Elon .. call them even (if you can). It doesnt matter if you like/dislike the UI, unless you tell Tesla it's unlikely to change.

And dont just say "I hate the UI", tell them WHAT you dont like and WHY you think it is bad: "I feel the font size reduction of the speedometer is bad because...".

That way, there is a chance it will get fixed.

Perhaps you should not drive until you get glasses.
This kind of gratuitous, puerile retort serves no purpose here, unless you are just attempting humor. I doubt that.

However, if at the moment you are fortunate enough to have 20/20 vision, no astigmatism, no cataracts, then good on yuh!. Just be patient. One day you will get older if you are fortunate.

Then, to quote the late Gov. Earl Long, "We'll see whose socks are draggin'...".

This kind of gratuitous, puerile retort serves no purpose here, unless you are just attempting humor. I doubt that.

However, if at the moment you are fortunate enough to have 20/20 vision, no astigmatism, no cataracts, then good on yuh!. Just be patient. One day you will get older if you are fortunate.

Then, to quote the late Gov. Earl Long, "We'll see whose socks are draggin'...".
Maybe the answer is that I should finally get those cataracts done. Maybe then I'll be able to see those regen dots. The glasses sure aren't helping. Can't see them with the glasses on. Tried taking the glasses off and that didn't help a bit.

Guys, seriously .. if you think the UI is that bad, tell Tesla .. tweet at Elon .. call them even (if you can). It doesn't matter if you like/dislike the UI, unless you tell Tesla it's unlikely to change.
I am at a loss whom to contact (about the ridiculously tiny regen bars, the non-adjustable map screen width, etc.

Tweeting Elon? Come on! Is Tesla's owner feedback system that bad? What is a realistic, efficient way to notify Tesla about suggesting UI changes that, as far as I can see, can be done with little effort and cost, and. considering the many, uniform comments, have only positive results?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Serious question: what purpose do the regen bars/dots serve while driving?

Granted I’ve only had my car a few months, but I didn’t realize they were there until I read about them in this thread. Then I glanced over at them while driving somewhere last week, thought, “huh, I wonder what they mean”, and never looked at them again. I don’t believe not paying attention to them has negatively impacted me in any way, but it’s quite possible I’m missing out on some cool functionality as a result.

Serious question: what purpose do the regen bars/dots serve while driving?

Granted I’ve only had my car a few months, but I didn’t realize they were there until I read about them in this thread. Then I glanced over at them while driving somewhere last week, thought, “huh, I wonder what they mean”, and never looked at them again. I don’t believe not paying attention to them has negatively impacted me in any way, but it’s quite possible I’m missing out on some cool functionality as a result.
How to interpret the Regen Dots

• Informative
Reactions: CleverUsername
I stand corrected - this morning I tried tapping the swipe bar at the top of the maximized music screen, and it instantly shrank down to single-row view. So I’m happy with that.
Little known trick- you can swipe up or down on the music icon at the bottom of the screen. Swipe up on the icon to grow the music thing once each step, swipe down to shrink it down .

The bottom of the screen is easier to maneuver precisely because of arm angle and being able to anchor the hand on the margins.

Reactions: frankvb
The bottom of the screen is terrible currently. Perhaps the worst are the climate controls. With the lack of physical knobs, attempting to adjust the temperature while driving demands a level of touch accuracy which requires you to take your eyes completely off the road. Miss by a couple millimeters on either side and you’ll either turn on the seat warmer or bring up the AC screen. Am I missing an ability to map functions like this to the right thumb wheel?

The bottom of the screen is terrible currently. Perhaps the worst are the climate controls. With the lack of physical knobs, attempting to adjust the temperature while driving demands a level of touch accuracy which requires you to take your eyes completely off the road. Miss by a couple millimeters on either side and you’ll either turn on the seat warmer or bring up the AC screen. Am I missing an ability to map functions like this to the right thumb wheel?
Voice?

Reactions: drtimhill

That would work, if ALL the touchscreen functions were understood by the voice activation software. But it is kind of half assed now. You can say "My butt is cold!" and the seat heater will turn on, but there are a bunch of functions not understood.

Just make the effing prompts in a font large enough to read without squinting at the screen for several seconds.

Muscle memory is OK, used to be able to grab for a knob to do something. But if the function is buried a couple layers deep, it's not the same.

I would equate it to the better-designed digital cameras, which allow you to map your most-used functions to unlabeled buttons and wheels.

In this case, drivers could assign most-used functions to the right wheel, which seems to be currently underutilized. Click left or right to cycle through these functions, then use the wheel to adjust. An example cycle might be: Driver’s side climate temperature -> Energy screen -> audio favorites -> phone contacts. Yes, I know most of these can be done by voice command, but there are times, especially when driving with passengers, I don’t feel like talking to the car constantly. And why not provide tactile controls when you can?

You can press the temperature icon and just hold and slide left for cooler or right for warmer. It's quick and easy rather than tapping the small left or right adjustments.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I still can't get over why.... even if you have ONE preset... it's almost completely hidden from view. :rolleyes:

IMG_1428.jpeg

Say "Set temperature to xxx" .. better than ANY button from safety standpoint.

• Helpful
Reactions: bcs92
Say "Set temperature to xxx" .. better than ANY button from safety standpoint.

You are correct. It will be nice when ALL the functions can be accessed by voice.
Of course, the heavens will come crashing down when Tesla actually PUBLISHES what commands work, and the syntax therefor.

And yes, I do understand this is a big undertaking, as commands are available in umptyleven languages.

Voice recognition is kinda like teaching a fish to sing. You don't chastise him for his syntax or pronunciation, you express wonderment that you understand anything at all!

• Funny
Reactions: bcs92