TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Screen crash after update 2020.28.5 on model 3 LR?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by KimC, Jul 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. KimC

KimC New Member

We've had our blue 3 LR since December 2019, and this is the first time I've experienced a screen/system crash like this! The car has been parked in the garage a lot more often due to Covid and WFH, that said we recently set the do not lock at home feature, and let the update for 2020.28.5 run last night. This afternoon, I got in the car and it didn't recognize my phone to go from easy entry to my seat position - and the screen was black. Good to know reverse/drive/park stick still was reponsive, as was the brake, even with NO screen feedback. The screen finally flashed after what felt like about 2 minutes and the Tesla logo appeared, rebooted itself and seemed to behave normal after that.

I'm curious about other's experiences with screen/system crashes.

2. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

Tesla's are computers that are also cars. In simple terms a reboot is necessary, and some updates can cause this occasionally until a later update fixes.

Many users often reboot the cars by holding down the the scroll wheels and pressing brake pedal until screen shows the Tesla T. Often after a firmware update this process is done.

Nothing to worry about. Happens now and then over our two cars and the many miles accumulated, but I often do the same thing (reset) on the many computers I use over the same time frame.

Edit: Welcome to TMC:)

• Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. dano9258

dano9258 Member

Completely normal. If it keeps doing it then maybe there is an issue. Should restart the entire vehicle every once in awhile anyways

• Like x 1
  4. Bossmobile

Bossmobile 3onDubs

Same happened to me after the last update...was able to reboot it by holding down both steering wheel buttons

5. KimC

KimC New Member

Thank you all - I had forgotten about the pressing both scroll buttons on the steering wheel to reboot. After past updates, upon unlocking, our car typically would auto reboot itself. This is the first time it hasn't!

6. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

A preemptive boot after any update seems to avoid these little quirks.

• Like x 1
  7. qingshan

qingshan 18 lr rwd fsd

I forgot to after the latest came. Arrow disappeared from nav until rebooted at next stop

8. flyhighboi20

flyhighboi20 Member

Had the same thing happen, also had it happen the next day. I also noticed that it was acting as if it didn't detect my key fob although the screen showed it detected but I would walk up to the car and more than half the time it wouldn't unlock and when I'd get in it would tell me to place the card on the center console when trying to drive ( these were behaviors I started experiencing with my phone which is why I got the fob). After the 2nd day these issues all seemed to go away on their own.

9. qingshan

qingshan 18 lr rwd fsd

Maybe that's why they pushed 2020.28.6 so fast