TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

screen discoloration

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, Aug 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Hi all. Anybody have this kind of issue with their center console? I have this yellow border around the screen. Should I be concerned?

Attached Files:

2. googleiscoul

googleiscoul Member

Still under warranty?

3. kev1n

kev1n Member

i remember seeing another thread with the same issue and he got it replaced under warranty

4. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Fortunately still under warranty...I'm just kinda curious if other people are getting anything similar.

5. googleiscoul

googleiscoul Member

You might want to go check it out then

6. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Does it do that when presenting a screen of a different color? I'm wondering if it's related to the all white screen in your photos, or if it does that all the time?

7. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Definitely the white screen you can see it more. But You can also see it during maps mode too.

Attached Files:

8. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Yep, it does. Thanks. That looks like a problem for sure. And your car is new! Crazy.

Keep us posted on what Tesla says/does for this.

9. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

i
    I will definitely ask Tesla about this.

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Get it replaced under warranty otherwise it's going to cost you an arm and a leg.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Replace for sure.

12. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I just called Tesla and they ordered a new screen for me. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

13. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

My Dec '16 MS recently developed this. Can't say for sure when it showed up but it was fairly recent and wasn't there when the car was new.

Are you in a particularly hot climate? We've been roasting here in the Central Valley this year and I suspect it's some sort of heat-related adhesive discoloration. I generally keep cabin overheat protection off because it can burn through ~10% of my battery during a 9 hour work day.

14. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I just put my car in today for servicing. They will replace the screen for me. I live in SoCal Los Angeles. The climate hasn't been TOO TOO hot, but it has gotten warm. I used to have the cabin overheat protection on, but like you said it does burn around 10% battery on a hot day. But even with it on...it still turned yellow.

• Informative x 1
  15. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

UPDATE:

So I got my car back today. Took them just 1 day. They repaired my AC issue and also my screen discoloration. They said they never seen anything like this before. So they replaced the entire MCU. For some reason the screen feels a little bit more responsive and actually clearer!

16. mlforrest

mlforrest Supporting Member

Yes, I have this exact same issue. I have a 2017 Model S I took delivery of in February. Thanks so much for posting these. Still under warranty so I will get replaced and post info on the process or issues here.

17. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Wow I wonder if they had a bad batch of LCDs or something. Mine is a 2017 Model S as well. Took delivery late Jan.

Yeah I emailed my local service center the pictures and they said they never seen it before and ordered the parts for me. Told me that it arrived within a week. I scheduled an appointment and had it replaced. Took them 1 day.

18. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

I just noticed this on my Dec 2016 car as well. Not as bad as yours but it definetly wasn't there before. Being in NJ I can definetly say it wasn't due to extreme heat. It was probably a bad batch of screens

• Informative x 1
  19. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Had a ranger out yesterday for a different issue so I asked him to look at the screen. He said he had seen it once before, just replaced an LCD for the same issue recently. Wrote up a repair order to have it replaced no questions asked.

20. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

I'm curious, what type of personal information/data is lost when the MCU is changed? Seat positions? Saved Destinations? Vehicle Settings? Homelink?