Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN 168xxx, I had my MCU replaced for this issue on October 30, 2017. I've just noticed in the past few weeks that my replacement is starting to develop the same issue.

I plan to email the service center and see if I can get it swapped with a MCU2. I don't expect it to be free, but I'm willing to pay for the upgrade.
Please let us know. I’m not sure they have the methods or the payment system (price) set up yet for this. I have the same problem and will wait either until they do OR til they run out of MCU1! I have 7 years left on my warranty (extended) so I can be patient.

I have had two loaners recently that both had this discoloration. Our Dec-2015 MS never showed any, but we just had the screen replaced for tab-bond failure so we have a new MCU and I'll have to keep an eye on it. We garage our car so it isn't out in the sun all day, I wonder if that's related to the cause?

A friend of mine had his screen replaced as the effect was quite pronounced for him. His car is outside in temperate European climate most of the time while mine is in a garage about 95% of the time (same climate). Cars are both DOM February '17.
Mine is only now starting to become faintly visible, although it seems it may be accelerating.
First I thought it might be an illusion until I snapped a picture with my phone and bumped up the saturation in an image editor, which made it perfectly obvious.
It might indeed have something to do with temperature affecting the glue.

Waiting for an upgrade path to MCU2 as well.

The .14 and .18 updates sped up the interface quite a bit, but whenever you see the new MCU2 in action there's still a very pronounced "wow, that's what fluid looks like!"-effect.

Sure hope they will eventually offer the upgrade path, but from my experience with Tesla and Musk tweets, I'm afraid they will never actually offer it. After all, the only thing we have to go on is Elons tweet "You can upgrade the hardware,". This may only refer to the technical feasibility and not an actual upgrade path the company will ever offer to a customer as an established procedure.
In all likelihood, with the full-on Model 3 delivery and service procedures rollout happening at the service centers (my assumption), it will more than likely take one or two years before that upgrade offer might become available, if ever.

I've got the screen discoloration for a few months now. First noticed the SC on on March, 15th.

And well, they ordered the screen but it's still not there, so I'm still waiting. Note that I don't know if it's related or not, but I'm getting more and more issues with my car which might all be related to the MCU slowly dying.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
My March 2017 X developed yellow ring at the end of last year and the entire MCU was replaced in Feb this year (i posted about it up thread) but now I got the golden ring begin to develop again on the replaced MCU. I am, as others, will give it a few months before reporting in hopes of v2 MCU replacement.

My March 2017 X developed yellow ring at the end of last year and the entire MCU was replaced in Feb this year (i posted about it up thread) but now I got the golden ring begin to develop again on the replaced MCU. I am, as others, will give it a few months before reporting in hopes of v2 MCU replacement.

Give it a few years! But rumor has it that they are refurbishing the returned MCU1’s with new screens and using THEM as replacement parts for subsequent issues. But if you wait a long time (I have 6.5 years left on warranty), it’ll likely have to be MCU2 or 3 ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: GayForEllon
Give it a few years! But rumor has it that they are refurbishing the returned MCU1’s with new screens and using THEM as replacement parts for subsequent issues. But if you wait a long time (I have 6.5 years left on warranty), it’ll likely have to be MCU2 or 3 ;)

Why would it have to be? What is to stop them from continuing to refurbish MCU1s?

• Informative
Reactions: GayForEllon
I just got the yellow ring on my March 2018 Model S with new MCU. I thought it might have something to do with the heat. I garage it at night and keep the cabin overheat protection on at work.
May 2017 75 and I had the yellow ring develop earlier this year. It took a while to get repair parts in but they fixed it end of June with a replacement display rather than a whole new MCU. So far so good. — Dan

Reactions: MelaniainLA