Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the yellow ring for a second time. I don't recall for certain if Tesla replaced the MCU the first time but believe they did. Discouraging as this adds to my concerns that the very visible and easily fixed fit and finish issues may not be the only quality issues -- and this one would be very expensive out of warranty. BTW my car was a 12/16 build so perhaps main screens crap out every 12 months.:eek:

I had the MCU replaced in January, but the discoloration is back and I think it is actually more visible than the last time. I am going to mention it to Tesla SC upon the next visit, but will hold off a replacement until a permanent fix can be found (MCU2?) - other than minor nuisance the functionality of the screen is not affected and I don't like an idea of perfectly good device being tossed away.

I just had my touchscreen replaced. A mobile service van came out and it took about an hour. Here's some pics.
fullsizeoutput_2326.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2324.jpeg
XUX126TSR9SZq5eAYU98fg.jpg
fullsizeoutput_2323.jpeg

My screen just developed the yellow border on my June 2017 build MS75. I called the service center to schedule an appointment. They advised me that there is a software fix in 2018.26 to address the yellow border and that I should wait to see if the software update fixes the problem on my car before bringing it in for screen replacement. Not exactly sure how the yellow border is a software problem that can be fixed in software; sounds more like a hardware problem to me. I could maybe see how the cause could be fixed in software if they've determined the cause is caused by driving the screen too bright and the software update dims the screen somehow, but I doubt that would fix a screen that already went bad.

Anyone around here with a yellow border and running the latest 2018.26?

Hmm, software fix? I wonder if they just try color correct the affected areas to hide the discoloration but I dont think it's a "fix". I have discoloration developing again (replaced once) and I'm on 2018.26 - the golden ring is there

They advised me that there is a software fix in 2018.26 to address the yellow border and that I should wait to see if the software update fixes the problem on my car before bringing it in for screen replacement.

A combo of changing the white balance and brightening the screen underneath the defect could certainly make it less noticeable, but calling that a "fix" is a bit of a stretch.

Or, perhaps more likely, you were just lied to by a service advisor either repeating a rumor or making stuff up.

Reactions: croman and kavyboy
Hmm, software fix? I wonder if they just try color correct the affected areas to hide the discoloration but I dont think it's a "fix". I have discoloration developing again (replaced once) and I'm on 2018.26 - the golden ring is there

I imagine they'd have to toggle a flag or something to set the display to "fix" mode as not all MCUs have the defect. Color correcting a not broken one would have the effect of creating a ring where there was none before... ;)

My car is currently at the SvC getting a screen and MCU complete change for the yellow discoloration issue.

I was bringing the car in for it's 3rd scheduled inspection so they pushed the .26 update while doing the inspection, but if there was anything at all to that update, well it is still getting the MCU+screen change anyway.

I asked them if I were getting the new and upgraded MCU and after verification the service advisor I was dealing with told me they'd tried to do that upgrade to other cars in with the same issue, but that our cars are not compatible for the upgrade, unfortunately.

So I think this may be an important info, but would need validation from others around here if you get the same input from your service advisors to make it into "law". :)

Here's my take; it can be upgraded, but you need to swap out the MCU, the right mirror assembly for the proper antennas and probably the IC, as that is also driven by the Intel chip on the MCU.
So it's more complicated than just popping MCU1 out and MCU2 in.

The yellow ring is definitely a hardware issue as you can even see it when the display is unlit and has an outside light shine on it (like through the sunroof). As it also varies in intensity based on age and unit, it's complete nonsense to try and fix it in software.

I just noticed this today. I updated my car yesterday to 2018.26. If it was indeed software, they actually created this issue for me. I think it might be adhesive/heat related too. We are in the midst of a heat wave this summer in Ontario. I think this is just poor manufacturing/worksmanship. Crazy to see the number of complaints about this...and spanning almost 2y of models. Add to this the rattle in the suspension...Looks like Tesla is cutting corners in the QC dept.

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpeg
    IMG_1577.jpeg
    845.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 106
Definitely a defect - they’ve been replacing a lot of these. Unless they’re truly switching something out it feels like they just keep kicking the can with each replacement. I’ll be curious if anyone has the issue twice.
As for rattles, take it and they’ll track it down for you. I had one develop that was super annoying. Every time I hit any kind of bump I would hear a rattle come from the rear of the car. Sounded like near the seats or rear window. It turned out to be a loose bump stop under the lift gate. Really simple fix.

Reactions: vraev
This is gonna sound nuts but today is my first day on 2018.26 and this is the first time I’ve noticed a faint yellow border at the top of my MCU.... I swear I didn’t have it two days ago.

So maybe they are trying to do some sort of software correction of backlight irregularity.

Reactions: vraev
Good to know. I will see what they will do about it.

About the rattle issue, I finally had the service tech hear it and acknowledge it. He gave the following report:

Concern: Customer: States there is a rattle noise coming from the front of the vehicle

MISC Items: NO LABOR PERFORMED

Confirmed noise while roadtesting the vehicle with the customer.
Tech found a bulletin regarding the noise, and right now there is no actual fix for the issue.

Once there is there will be a new bulletin that is send out.​