Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yellowing was there before, just before it wasn't as easy to see as it now.

Question. Once replaced is there a warranty on the replacement part?

Example: Car is at 49,999 and screen get replaced and yellows 6 months later.

Some car manufacturers provide a warranty on a repair while others provide a warranty on a part replaced out of warranty. Like 6 months x miles.....
There is a one-year warranty on replacement parts from Tesla.

Has anyone had their trim damaged when they replaced their MCU or MCU screen? Worried since my car got damaged last time I took it in.
Yup, the top frame now has a nice big bend in it. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. Already have an appointment for a new frame though.

Attachments

• IMG_20180925_175653__02-1024x346.jpg
    IMG_20180925_175653__02-1024x346.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 97
My car is now showing the yellow ring. Surprised it's this fast since this car was just "gated" in May 2018. I'm suppose to get my 21" rims today but I think I'll hold off on getting my screen fixed. For what it's worth, I have the cabin heat protection on and I have tints on my windshield (then again, I just got the car in September booo).

Tesla mobile replaced mine. They were great but it's a bit of a production to schedule the appointment. Took about 2 hours in my driveway. My car was a Nov 2017 S75D with 10k miles when the ring appeared.
The yellow screen band appeared a month ago on my June 2017 75D. The local SC initially agreed to order a replacement screen but now say they have been "stopped from ordering" replacements and that the issue is "under investigation with engineering".

The yellow screen band appeared a month ago on my June 2017 75D. The local SC initially agreed to order a replacement screen but now say they have been "stopped from ordering" replacements and that the issue is "under investigation with engineering".
I'm also scheduled to get the screen replaced (again). Honestly, it would be better to have them come out with a permanent fix instead of having to replace the screen every year.

Reactions: PhilDavid

I recommend you push Tesla on this. Hundreds of people have had theirs replaced without question, mine included. You should be able to have yours replaced like everyone else.

@CaliSol Im also very frustrated with how Tesla is handling this issue. It seemed to be a known issue and is quite widespread, yet there is no other communication on it other than "it's been sent to engineering". Given that they are so busy with Model 3, Semi, Model Y, etc...I also don't feel like this is a priority and is not going to be resolved anytime soon.

The local SC initially agreed to order a replacement screen but now say they have been "stopped from ordering" replacements and that the issue is "under investigation with engineering".

I would hope this is under investigation by engineering. This issue lasts 3 years already! I would have imagined they could come up with a fix for this issue 2,5 years ago.

I recommend you push Tesla on this. Hundreds of people have had theirs replaced without question, mine included. You should be able to have yours replaced like everyone else.

I don't think its very useful. The yellow borders are noticeable but it just cosmetic. Considering that taking the dash apart for the repair would probably not do much good for the car, I'm leaving it as it is until there is a permanent fix.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It's more than a bad batch if it's affecting cars from late 2016 to mid 2018.

Yes, but it is hard to say. Keep in mind that in this thread we are only seeing those people whose cars are affected. I did not count, but let's assume we have 100 cases here in 2-3 production years. We can extrapolate (again, I am totally making this numbers up) and say that only one fifth of all cases are reported here. 500 cases since 2015 is still a fraction of all cars produced.

The main trick is that this seems to be happening to brand new cars also, and I doubt Tesla keeps screens around for a full two years before putting them into a new car. Or perhaps they do...

It would be interesting, and I hope this is what the engineering team is doing, to see if there is a common link among all cases. Warmer climates, sun exposure, etc.

The yellow band does not cause any problems. I bet that if people had to pay to have them replaced, very few would choose to do so.

Screens are very expensive and the labor is significant to replace them. If they are just yellowing again in a few months, it would make sense for Tesla to tell people to hold off until a permanent fix could be developed.

Tesla did the right thing by offering to replace yellow banded screens, but it would be foolish for them to continue to do so if the replacement screens were going to just yellow again.

They are probably working now on a permanent fix with their supplier of the screens.

• Disagree
Reactions: MIT_S60 and MP3Mike
Warranty parts usually do not further extend the basic vehicle warranty.

If, however, you pay for the parts, then they usually will have their own warranty.

May be some exceptions, as some common defects will have an internal extended warranty. Will be fixed even after the vehicle warranty has expired.

The yellow band does not cause any problems. I bet that if people had to pay to have them replaced, very few would choose to do so.

Screens are very expensive and the labor is significant to replace them. If they are just yellowing again in a few months, it would make sense for Tesla to tell people to hold off until a permanent fix could be developed.

Tesla did the right thing by offering to replace yellow banded screens, but it would be foolish for them to continue to do so if the replacement screens were going to just yellow again.

They are probably working now on a permanent fix with their supplier of the screens.

Wouldn't the screen supplier pay for the replacement screens and maybe the labor?

Wouldn't the screen supplier pay for the replacement screens and maybe the labor?

Maybe, but it still ties up Tesla tech time that could be used to resolve issues that aren't just cosmetic and going to come back. (Sort of like they stopped replacing the struts in cars for the "strut chuckle" until they got redesigned parts from the supplier that actually resolved the issue. It was just wasted time/money/effort for everyone (Tesla/Supplier/Customer) to replace the struts with ones that would just get the chuckle again.)