Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The yellow band does not cause any problems. I bet that if people had to pay to have them replaced, very few would choose to do so.

Screens are very expensive and the labor is significant to replace them. If they are just yellowing again in a few months, it would make sense for Tesla to tell people to hold off until a permanent fix could be developed.

Tesla did the right thing by offering to replace yellow banded screens, but it would be foolish for them to continue to do so if the replacement screens were going to just yellow again.

They are probably working now on a permanent fix with their supplier of the screens.
It's foolish for them to continue using parts that are prone to fail. It shouldn't be acceptable just because it doesn't cause functional issues. Tesla needs to start being held to higher standards quality-wise and stop overwhelming the service centers due to poor quality parts.

Reactions: caltechkid
So far only one person has reported issues with getting screen replaced from Tesla and theorized it was engineers working to fix the problem. Others have said no issues, and Service Centers are still replacing them. My screen now exhibits the yellow band. Drove by service center so they could verify...yep, screen needs replacement. They are ordering the part(s) required and will contact me when parts received (he said probably 10-14 days). Was also told that repair could be done at the service center or by a mobile technician, I can choose when they call me that parts are in. I was quite satisfied with how Tesla is handling it...

Was also told that repair could be done at the service center or by a mobile technician, I can choose when they call me that parts are in..

I would choose mobile technician. I got my screen replaced twice - once in the shop, the second time by a mobile technician and it was quite interesting watching him to take the dashboard apart and putting it back together. Less than an hour job

I'm not sure why some are noticing the yellowing only after a software upgrade. It seems to me we always had apps (map, etc) that went from edge to edge. I got 9 several days ago and unless I'm wrong, nothing changed in terms of screen coverage for things like the map. So if the yellowing issue was there after the firmware upgrade, I'd think it was there before.
I noticed mine right after 2018.34.1. Hard to imagine if it was there before somehow I just did not see it. I had read about it before so when I saw it after that firmware version it caught my eye quickly. Any it continued there after 2018.39.6 so I assume it was a coincidence.

I scheduled an appointment online a week ago. Today I checked to make sure they had the part but they had not ordered it yet. Not sure when they will get it or even if they will get it for my appointment next week. After you make an appointment, call to make sure the order you part.
FYI.. They did get my replacement part in by my appointment. Still there for start of second day. They said easy job so should be long but they have a lot of Tesla's in this small shop.

On the warranty point, the warranty on the replaced part is independent of whether the client had to pay for the exchange or not - the warranty covers the payment. If a new part is put into the car, that part has its own warranty running from the day it's mounted. So if Tesla doesnt get a fix and has to replace the screen once a year, they will have to do so indefinitely at no cost to the owner. And that's how it should be, because after all the screen shouldnt turn yellow ever.

Reactions: Superendo
Yellowing was there before, just before it wasn't as easy to see as it now.

Question. Once replaced is there a warranty on the replacement part?

Example: Car is at 49,999 and screen get replaced and yellows 6 months later.

Some car manufacturers provide a warranty on a repair while others provide a warranty on a part replaced out of warranty. Like 6 months x miles.....
I had a conversation with a service advisor about this exact question on Monday as my car was in for the end of warranty inspection (79,000km).

Basically, they will try and adopt a reasonable stance. If your car is past its warranty but a previous job under warranty goes bad, depending on usage (read mileage count) post-warranty, they would possibly still cover it under goodwill.

My example: I got my MCU/Screen replaced at 60,000km in July. Say my screen goes bad again at 90,000km I should legitimately expect they would replace it again under goodwill. That however might be my last replacement, but not necessarily, depending on how the replacement screen behaves. Replacement parts all have subsequent 20,000km warranty of their own. So If you replace your screen at 49,999km your new screen is covered by its own warranty now for another what 12k miles?

But this is Tesla service and barring exceptions, Tesla generally has our backs. This is why we do business with them right?

This doesn't mean however you shouldn't be prepared to argue in order to win your point if you ask for goodwill beyond warranty.

Advisor also told me that while they were replacing screens routinely, they were all still functional and none to her knowledge had failed altogether due to the yellow banding.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Yeah they needed to fix mine, not sure what they did (smelled like they replaced the whole front top cover and took enough time, 3-5+ hrs). Top trim is still not straight though. At least now it has a continuous curvature rather than a big dent, so I'll likely forget about it.

So far only one person has reported issues with getting screen replaced from Tesla and theorized it was engineers working to fix the problem. Others have said no issues, and Service Centers are still replacing them. My screen now exhibits the yellow band. Drove by service center so they could verify...yep, screen needs replacement. They are ordering the part(s) required and will contact me when parts received (he said probably 10-14 days). Was also told that repair could be done at the service center or by a mobile technician, I can choose when they call me that parts are in. I was quite satisfied with how Tesla is handling it...

Two of us actually have gotten that response, both of us being from Switzerland I suspect that its a local directive (I was in contact with the Bern SC for future reference). What worries me is what would happen if they didn't design that new part by the time my warranty expires..

It's not the moment they replace the faulty part, is when you report it as faulty which matters for the warranty.
Like if your car brakes down one day before the end of the warranty and they can only fix it after 5 days, naturally it's a warranty case. Same hisho true for spare part warranty.

I would choose mobile technician. I got my screen replaced twice - once in the shop, the second time by a mobile technician and it was quite interesting watching him to take the dashboard apart and putting it back together. Less than an hour job
I got the yellow screen recently, and my local SC told me it is a 3 hour job...I opted for mobile service...and no one has called me. That was last week.