Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scheduled an appt at the Kansas City location for last Friday through the online system. I explained the issue in my notes. Luckily, I called the day before my scheduled appointment, as when they checked, they had no screen available. Haven't heard anything back in the following week. I will be checking back with them tomorrow. I would MUCH prefer a Ranger visit if possible, but I haven't been offered anything yet.

I scheduled an appt at the Kansas City location for last Friday through the online system. I explained the issue in my notes. Luckily, I called the day before my scheduled appointment, as when they checked, they had no screen available. Haven't heard anything back in the following week. I will be checking back with them tomorrow. I would MUCH prefer a Ranger visit if possible, but I haven't been offered anything yet.

You have to request for a mobile tech (provided they have them in the area) instead of an SC appointment.

Mine has been at the SC 4 days so far waiting on the part, they estimate it will not be done for another 4 days. I called them several times before dropping it off for my appointment to make sure they had the part, however they never called me back so I just dropped it off at the appointment time.

Have a nice Loaner, so not too big of a deal (other than a lack of Carpool sticker on the loaner car here in SoCal). Interesting part is that the Loaner is newer (it only has about 600 miles on it) and it has a worse screen discoloration than my car...

Has anyone gotten an MCU1 replaced with MCU2 at service center? My early 2017 has the yellow bands. I'm hoping to wait a while for the end of warranty to possibly get MCU2 replacement if possible.

It requires extra wiring and new components (Wi-Fi, BLE, etc.). They just swap out the LCD screen in the MCU housing, not the entire unit.

Mine has been at the SC 4 days so far waiting on the part, they estimate it will not be done for another 4 days. I called them several times before dropping it off for my appointment to make sure they had the part, however they never called me back so I just dropped it off at the appointment time.

Have a nice Loaner, so not too big of a deal (other than a lack of Carpool sticker on the loaner car here in SoCal). Interesting part is that the Loaner is newer (it only has about 600 miles on it) and it has a worse screen discoloration than my car...

Double check that the LCD screen doesn't have any issues when you take the car back. Mine was actually defect in that the LCD shifted the picture by ~10px to the right.

Reactions: thatisug
So after weeks and weeks of waiting for the part I asked Tesla if perhaps it would not make sense to do the upgrade to LTE. They did not say, but I assume that this is why it is taking so long, just trying to find a 3G MCU.

And I was offered to upgrade... at a cost of $550, which if I am not mistaken is what would cost to just do a regular upgrade.

I understand the whole profitability push but... hey, at least deduct the installation.

I mentioned it and in Tesla's defense, they responded quickly and are looking into it. I will update with the final word.

Mine was replaced on Nov 7 during paid annual service. Weeks to wait for service in SoCal can help give the local Service Center time to order parts based on issues mentioned during scheduling. The work done by Buena Park on the 2017 MS 90D was beyond expectation. All issues were addressed and additional work was completed based on the careful inspection that occurs during annual service.

Similar to the bubbles on the 2012 MS center screen, the yellow band was not annoying and I waited until annual service for replacement. Both screens were replaced under warranty.

I just noticed the yellow border several weeks ago on my Aug 17 Model S. I am wondering if I should delay getting it replaced since it doesn't look like they have solved the manufacturing problem yet. I don't see the point in getting it replaced again a year from now.