Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In theory it might be fixable in software. Since each pixel is addressable, applying a color temperature change to only those pixels within the yellow border could work. That area appears to have a ‘warmer’ color temperature than the surrounding ‘cooler’ area.

How effective this would be is anyone’s guess. Since I too am a ‘yellow border sufferer’ (YBS), I would obviously rather have a new screen that’s immune to this issue.

YBS’ers, unite!!

BS "it's firmware". It's the screen glue. Unbelievable they tell this BS to people. It's a hardware issue, turn off the car and you can still see it. Nothing to do with software, so it cant be fixed in software.

So I went and did a hard reset to get everything off (two wheel thumb buttons and the brake). Rebooted and saw as you said, yellow lines all around (actually about 75% all around the edges not just upper left). I'm going to show the techs that and ask them how firmware can cause that. If they deny it then I'll ask them to send me a photo of the screen when the mcu power unplugged. Good tip thanks CK_Stuggi

In theory it might be fixable in software. Since each pixel is addressable, applying a color temperature change to only those pixels within the yellow border could work. That area appears to have a ‘warmer’ color temperature than the surrounding ‘cooler’ area.

How effective this would be is anyone’s guess. Since I too am a ‘yellow border sufferer’ (YBS), I would obviously rather have a new screen that’s immune to this issue.

It would only be effective for colors that have a "yellow" component equal to or greater than the discoloration of the screen.

For example, there's no way to display pure blue with "less yellow."

Of course if you had no yellow discoloration prior to your reboot and then it suddenly appeared if the reboot, then you could say it was software related.
Purely psychological. You can get by without seeing it for quite a while, but the moment you notice it, you can't stop looking for it.
How can you explain being able to see the yellowing with the screen turned off of it was software?

Purely psychological. You can get by without seeing it for quite a while, but the moment you notice it, you can't stop looking for it.
How can you explain being able to see the yellowing with the screen turned off of it was software?
No, don't get me wrong, I don't think it is software. I was only suggesting that if it could be proved that it wasn't there prior to rebooting and then suddenly appeared immediately after a reboot, you could make a case for software. I think it's clearly a hardware issue. Mine didn't just pop up one day, it's gotten worse over time.

Reactions: CK_Stuggi
Of course if you had no yellow discoloration prior to your reboot and then it suddenly appeared if the reboot, then you could say it was software related.

Sorry let me clarify. The system power CYCLED. the screen was powered off. As I said in the post I'm going to ask them to unplug (depower) the mcu and show me there is no yellow outlines. If the unpowered unit has lines then its a physical issue as ck_Stuggi suggested

Sorry let me clarify. The system power CYCLED. the screen was powered off. As I said in the post I'm going to ask them to unplug (depower) the mcu and show me there is no yellow outlines. If the unpowered unit has lines then its a physical issue as ck_Stuggi suggested

It is a physical issue, but it really doesn't make any difference as they aren't replacing screens at this time for this issue because they are working on getting a redesigned screen that doesn't suffer from this issue.

It is a physical issue, but it really doesn't make any difference as they aren't replacing screens at this time for this issue because they are working on getting a redesigned screen that doesn't suffer from this issue.

Dropped off the car today to fix a couple of things. They reiterated that screen discolor is a SCREEN firmware issue. I kept saying but why does the yellow stay on after the screen powers off. He was polite but adamant that it was known and the firmware in a few months (summer) will resolve it. Said that they are not replacing mcu's/screens, because if is the same firmware.

Would love to hear if other people had difference experiences, maybe where swapped out a screen and yellow lines never came back?

Dropped off the car today to fix a couple of things. They reiterated that screen discolor is a SCREEN firmware issue. I kept saying but why does the yellow stay on after the screen powers off. He was polite but adamant that it was known and the firmware in a few months (summer) will resolve it. Said that they are not replacing mcu's/screens, because if is the same firmware.

Would love to hear if other people had difference experiences, maybe where swapped out a screen and yellow lines never came back?
Classic poor internal Tesla communication. Your tech was half-right. It is known and is planned to be fixed in the summer but it will be with a new screen, not firmware.

I have had YBS since Day 1 with my new car (Dec, 2018). I haven't notified my Ranger as I know they can't fix it until the summer but maybe I should so I can get on a list?

I haven't notified my Ranger as I know they can't fix it until the summer but maybe I should so I can get on a list?
I would do that for sure, even if it drags out for a long time at least you have written proof yours had the issue since day 1.
By the way, how on earth does a new car with such an obvious fault get past end of line quality checks?
Anyway I have an Email from Nov 2018 from my local service centre saying to not bother getting the screen changed out yet as a new one is coming in 2019. There's my written proof should it all turn bad as to who qualifies and who doesn't when these new screens arrive.

Not denying there's a new screen coming (hopefully so, best with an MCU upgrade option!), but I find it strange they have a run-up of 8 months for a new part, especially if they know it's coming. I mean, are they still installing the faulty screens in current production?
Seems odd.

Not denying there's a new screen coming (hopefully so, best with an MCU upgrade option!), but I find it strange they have a run-up of 8 months for a new part, especially if they know it's coming. I mean, are they still installing the faulty screens in current production?
Seems odd.

They really have no choice for current production. They use what they have or perhaps they use the new design from the vendor that is still being tested.

But it probably isn't worth retrofitting lots of cars until they can prove the redesign solved the problem.

Reactions: CK_Stuggi
Took my car to the SC yesterday for repairs and when I inquired about the screen replacements I was told that a big shipment of them is coming in June. I then mentioned that my IC is also having the yellowing effect. It is a lot harder to tell but when sunlight hits it, I can totally see the border. It was confirmed by the technician and they placed an order for a new one so mine can be replaced.

I too am a YBS. It has been 30 days now since my last non-YBS day. No one notices it unless I point it out. I will wait until they have a new screen out that doesn't do it. In the mean time I will continue to come to this thread for the moral support we YBS's need.

Yeah mine is has had it for a long time now. Should I take it in for servicing? It has gotten worst lately. Very noticable in sunlight and white screen. My warranty is coming up in about 5 months considering the number of miles I have on it and will put on it in the next 5 months.

If you haven't already showed service and got the error logged you should before your warranty is up, so that you can still get it replaced if they don't have the new displays in until after you are out of warranty.