Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their obligation ends when the warranty ends.

In the EU that won't fly. It is pretty obvious that these screens have a manufacturing/design flaw. The glue that bonds the digitizer to the screen is not suited for the temperatures these screens have to endure. IF (and only IF) the UV-trick is a temp fix, in the EU you still have the right to a permanent repair.

In the EU that won't fly. It is pretty obvious that these screens have a manufacturing/design flaw. The glue that bonds the digitizer to the screen is not suited for the temperatures these screens have to endure. IF (and only IF) the UV-trick is a temp fix, in the EU you still have the right to a permanent repair.

The same should hold true for the US … Elon prides himself on thinking outside the box, but the screens are not automotive grade. A permanent fix should be developed!

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
The same should hold true for the US … Elon prides himself on thinking outside the box, but the screens are not automotive grade. A permanent fix should be developed!

For what it's worth.. My screen was replaced (not UV'ed) just weeks before they released the UV thing. I was told I have a new revision of the screen that should not have this issue. We will see, but so far so good (+/- 6 months now since it was replaced).

My new screen is a C-revision while the previous one was an A-revision. So they did change something.

When does a manufacturer's responsibility for manufacturing/design flaws end in the EU? It sounds like you would never have to pay for an out-of-warranty repair there. (Since anything that fails is technically a manufacturing or design flaw, right?)

Is Mercedes replacing all of the ruined transmissions in the EU because of the flaws in their radiators? (Here in the US they are still fighting the class action law suit.)

Doesn't explain why 2019 built cars are still suffering the yellow screens, unless they had a bunch of 'A' revision screens in stock at the assembly line. If that was the case then that is even worse because they knew they were faulty.

I don't think that the Rev C screen was available until May/June. The newest car I have seen reported with the yellow border was manufactured in April. So that might line up with when the Rev C screen became available.

No, and why would they? (Tesla has said that at this time they don't know how long it will last or if it will be permanent.)

Their obligation ends when the warranty ends. Does Mercedes replace the transmission, torque converter, and radiator when the radiator fails after the warranty period is up and it destroys the transmission and torque converter? No they don't.

Yes, other companies extend the original warranty for parts/issues that are design defects or known to persistently fail. Some very common examples are:
- Toyota melting dash boards
- Volkswagen diesel system components
- Audi rebuilt an engine in a 2006 A4 I owned that was well beyond warranty due to known design defect (well published at time)

And on and on. Tesla's screen is faulty in that it fails within ~ 6 months to 1 year (yellow perimeter). Tesla needs to fix the original issue, reimburse owners the value of the screen (similar to how other car manufacturers do when it's cheaper to pay the consumer than fix the issue) (similar to how Tesla had to pay owners for untrue FSD claims), or continuing repairing the screens for life.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Yes, other companies extend the original warranty for parts/issues that are design defects or known to persistently fail. Some very common examples are:
- Toyota melting dash boards
- Volkswagen diesel system components
- Audi rebuilt an engine in a 2006 A4 I owned that was well beyond warranty due to known design defect (well published at time)

And on and on. Tesla's screen is faulty in that it fails within ~ 6 months to 1 year (yellow perimeter). Tesla needs to fix the original issue, reimburse owners the value of the screen (similar to how other car manufacturers do when it's cheaper to pay the consumer than fix the issue) (similar to how Tesla had to pay owners for untrue FSD claims), or continuing repairing the screens for life.

called and was told there was a fix coming haven’t seen one. Was told they wanted $1000 to put a new one. Did anyone get satisfaction

No, and why would they? (Tesla has said that at this time they don't know how long it will last or if it will be permanent.)

Their obligation ends when the warranty ends. Does Mercedes replace the transmission, torque converter, and radiator when the radiator fails after the warranty period is up and it destroys the transmission and torque converter? No they don't.

Why would they?

(1) Because it is a known defect, of materials or manufacturing. (I do not care which, the distinction does not matter to me)
(2) Because rather than repair when obligation was clear but root cause was unknown, they pushed their customers to wait until root cause was known. For me this is 1.5 years. Perhaps a lawyer can tell me: at what point does it become actionable material degradation of product sold, when we are exceeding 25% of a car's warrantied lifespan?
(3) Because they claim that ~20 years into a world with high volume manufacturing of flat panel display technology and nobody having ever seen anything like this before on said same technology, this "is not a defect and not covered under warranty".
(4) Because now they offer a bait and switch to temporarily mitigate the damage, rather than replace: "reduce the yellowing condition for a period of time". And to add insult to injury it is offered as "a one time goodwill gesture", and lest you think that perhaps they're just weasel-wording around this to be careful, they add a whole additional sentence: "Please note that this is NOT a treatment that removes the yellowing condition permanently.".

So let me get this straight, Tesla... I wait 1.5 years for you to put a bandaid on my gunshot wound as a goodwill gesture?

This message indicates to me a few things:
(a) They are very scared of the field impact in terms of cost
(b) They are very unsure that the fix is a fix. The last sentence seems to indicate that they have experienced failures, either to fail to fix or fail again after some time.
(c) This is not a particularly high priority to them, and they are likely attempting to run out the clock.
(d) Some attorneys are going to buy a small island from the end result of all this

I like (and want to like) Tesla as much as everyone else here. But this is indefensible.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and pgkevet
Mine was fixed here at the Austin service center last week. Takes about four hours total and i was given a $100 Uber credit to use while they had my car. Very smooth and friendly at the service center and the fix is perfect, but experiences seem to vary on this problem.

At first they told me no immediate fix and it was not a warranty repair and cancelled my appointment. I replied countering their claim and noting I had purchased the fully refundable extended warranty on a three month old new car. Next day I had an appointment.