Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a picture of it not aligned on the top? I'm kinda curious.

Here’s mine:
044A9085-E63C-410A-9F14-CDF2B1B3470D.jpeg

I don’t have a good before photo; could you guys share yours?

@appleguru that is so frustrating! And my understanding is that the whole dash has to be ripped apart and trim pieces removed (and potentially damaged) in order to replace the screen/MCU. I'm guessing they would have to do the same thing to fix the poor alignment at the top? In another thread someone said that it's probably not the screen that's crooked, but rather the dash trim piece above the screen isn't pushed down enough or something? Are you planning to take it back for this?

Just got my car back and the touchscreen works intermittently. It spazzes as if something is always touching the screen and after a few minutes the touchscreen becomes completely unresponsive. Then I have to do a reboot and it works for a few minutes until it goes crazy again. Really wish I would’ve just dealt with the yellow boarders. Car is going back tomorrow. I think they’re going to replace the entire MCU this time.

• Helpful
Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
Just got my car back and the touchscreen works intermittently. It spazzes as if something is always touching the screen and after a few minutes the touchscreen becomes completely unresponsive. Then I have to do a reboot and it works for a few minutes until it goes crazy again. Really wish I would’ve just dealt with the yellow boarders. Car is going back tomorrow. I think they’re going to replace the entire MCU this time.
That's frustrating. Hopefully the issue will be resolved after your next appointment.

I just noticed this "yellow ring" on my screen too. [snip] Mine was built-to-order and then delivered February 2017.
So, I took my S to the SC last Tuesday.

The MCU was replaced, without question, with the repair completed in 3 days (I had a couple other items worked on during the same visit).

The invoice says, "Replaced the media control unit (MCU) and verified proper fitment and secure".

The yellow ring, of course, is gone, plus I think the touchscreen performance seems a bit snappier. If the new MCU has a faster CPU and/or RAM, that might account for it. Alternately, does anybody know where the modem is? -- built into the MCU? Perhaps the network connection is faster.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
Under certain lighting conditions, I've noticed a yellow rectangle around the perimeter of the display, which disappears when the light angle shifts.

Is this the yellow ring referenced above?

We've joined the yellow border group. 3/2017 delivery. Here's a photo of the top of the screen. It does extend down both sides. The bottom border is black so not visible there. I thought I was starting to notice the yellow after reading this thread when the thread was started but seemed very faint; today very noticeable when we were out of park and in Nav screen during daylight. Call placed to service.

IMG_5329.JPG

We've joined the yellow border group. 3/2017 delivery. Here's a photo of the top of the screen. It does extend down both sides. The bottom border is black so not visible there. I thought I was starting to notice the yellow after reading this thread when the thread was started but seemed very faint; today very noticeable when we were out of park and in Nav screen during daylight. Call placed to service.

View attachment 261680

Wow. That's way worse than mine. I think I caught mine early after reading about it here. Replaced last week. New one is good so far.

OK, so I finally got my dec 16 build 90D fixed yesterday. They ended up replacing the MCU rather than just the screen. They did NOT copy over my settings so I had to reprogram everything.

Good to know that happened to you....Not THAT it happened to you ;). Ours goes in Friday and at least we'll be prepared for whatever happens. Hope we don't loose settings, especially the seat positions. Got it just right and don't want to try to reset.

Good to know that happened to you....Not THAT it happened to you ;). Ours goes in Friday and at least we'll be prepared for whatever happens. Hope we don't loose settings, especially the seat positions. Got it just right and don't want to try to reset.

Only settings I lost when they replaced my MCU were paired Bluetooth devices. Everything else was retained.

Reactions: SMAlset
Update: since getting the center screen replaced 2 weeks ago, I noticed today that it is uncomfortably hot to touch more so on the right edge of the screen (been driving on the highway for 44 min). It’s 47 deg outside and inside temp set to 75. No direct sunlight on the screen. I don’t remember ever having this issue since I got the car a year ago even in the hot sunny summer days.

Update: since getting the center screen replaced 2 weeks ago, I noticed today that it is uncomfortably hot to touch more so on the right edge of the screen (been driving on the highway for 44 min). It’s 47 deg outside and inside temp set to 75. No direct sunlight on the screen. I don’t remember ever having this issue since I got the car a year ago even in the hot sunny summer days.

Yup just noticed that earlier today. Got my car back yesterday after it was with Tesla for 2 weeks (long story) and I felt that the top right was very hot. Hopefully its a non-issue because I really dont want to give my car back to Tesla Service, ever again.