Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My December 2016 S75 has the same issue. Is it worth holding out on getting it fixed in case the come out with a faster MCU and try to get that one installed? Or are they only replacing the screen thus it wouldn't be worth it?

Only replaced screen for me. Also, Tesla has a habit of replacing parts with same, so wouldn’t hold my breath for an upgrade. Sorry.

Both our MX’s screens are being replaced next week bc of the yellowing around edges. One is a December ‘16 build and other is June ‘17. We keep both garaged and not in heat much at all. Also have them set to auto adjust so they don’t stay on bright screen all the time. I will say Tesla is so easy to get things handled. They didn’t blink an eye when I asked if I could have both replaced as one was not bad at all. I could see many of manufacturers saying it’s normal or something like that and not replacing.

My December 2016 S75 has the same issue. Is it worth holding out on getting it fixed in case the come out with a faster MCU and try to get that one installed? Or are they only replacing the screen thus it wouldn't be worth it?

I was waiting ~3 months for a replacement because the ranger placed a part order for just the screen, which apparently doesn’t exist or is in extremely short (nonexistent) supply. Just this week they gave up on waiting for the screen and replaced the entire MCU.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Same issue happened on my car (August 2017 S75) - car was cold soaked for two months while on vacation and I came back to the screen doing the yellow band. Service center immediately said they would order a replacement.

We have this same issue and are wondering whether or not it’s worth replacing, simply because our SC has a habit of making matters worse (or creating new issues) when fixing/replacing things. After hearing about others with screen misalignment, damaged trim, etc. during screen replacement, I’d almost rather deal with the yellow border (unless it’s going to continue to get worse).

I just had mobile tech out and he replaced both our MX screens. One was very slight discoloration around border while the other was very prevalent. Tech had both replaced w/in a couple hours. He did say it is same p/n so I will be on lookout for this to reoccur. The more prevelant screen was a dec ‘16 build while the other was June ‘17. Both stay in garage most of the time and out of heat.

We have this same issue and are wondering whether or not it’s worth replacing, simply because our SC has a habit of making matters worse (or creating new issues) when fixing/replacing things. After hearing about others with screen misalignment, damaged trim, etc. during screen replacement, I’d almost rather deal with the yellow border (unless it’s going to continue to get worse).
I've waited quite a while to schedule my replacement out of laziness. Just last week I scheduled and the parts are on order (no delivery date for parts to SC yet). The yellow border has gotten much, much worse over time and is now clearly visible on all screens and all lighting scenarios.

This just appeared on our March S 100D last week. Had the 12.5K mile maintenance a few weeks ago, so will either try to live with it for a while, or schedule another service visit.

Tesla has had a rough time with the touchscreens. The early Model S cars suffered from bubbles forming under the touchscreen membrane - now it looks like they got another bad batch of touchscreens with adhesive issues...

My replacement went off without a hitch and it looks good as new. My thought process, as they are apparently replacing the whole MCU in most cases, was that going forward with the replacement had the added benefit of resetting the clock on a possibly failed MCU down the road from worn out flash memory.

I called Tesla phone support and reported the issue to the local service center. They called back, asked for a photo - and then ordered a replacement. They'll call to schedule when they have the replacement.

I have a question for those of you who got the full MCU (not just touchscreen) replacement. Ever since mine was replaced I am unable to unlock the car from the app. I am still able to start climate, lock the car, enable keyless driving, etc... Unlocking is the only thing that doesn't work from the app. Anyone else having this issue?

Just adding my voice in the thread to report I now have the same issue. Car was built in May 2017 - August deivery (purchased a service loaner). Screen issue showed up about a month ago. I had planned to just collect a list of issues (I have several now) and have it all taken care of during its first service.

Just adding my voice in the thread to report I now have the same issue. Car was built in May 2017 - August deivery (purchased a service loaner). Screen issue showed up about a month ago. I had planned to just collect a list of issues (I have several now) and have it all taken care of during its first service.
You may want to call ahead because my replacement is on order with no scheduled delivery date yet. If you only tell them when you go for your first appointment they do not have these in stock.