Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the yellow occur on my screen A ranger came and replaced it in my driveway at no cost, it was easy. He also said some begin to "bubble" at the bottom edge of the screen over time. December 16 build.
Same built date as me.

I checked other places and it seems sometimes it is a screen replace, and other times it is the entire MCU. I hope mine is just the screen. From what I've read an MCU replace means to need to reenter a number of settings (streaming music favorties would probably take the longest to reestablish) . I've also read you lose your energy stats collected, such as kWh used from the start.

Last edited:
Same built date as me.

I checked other places and it seems sometimes it is a screen replace, and other times it is the entire MCU. I hope mine is just the screen. From what I've read an MCU replace means to need to reenter a number of settings (streaming music favorties would probably take the longest to reestablish) . I've also read you lose your energy stats collected, such as kWh used from the start.

I'd deal with that hassle only for the new mcu2.

Same built date as me.

A full MCU replacement if done right involves a full backup/restore of your profile settings. There’s no reason for you to have to endure any of that. Mine was replaced and it was 100% transparent to me. All settings carried over.

A full MCU replacement if done right involves a full backup/restore of your profile settings. There’s no reason for you to have to endure any of that. Mine was replaced and it was 100% transparent to me. All settings carried over.

I had mine done a week ago. I guess my SC doesn't know the backup trick. I lost all my settings. I did complain about it when I picked it up, but that didn't do me any good. Might be good to ask before getting it done.

Same built date as me.

I kept all of my settings except the trip data was reset on mine (which was annoying but oh well).

• Informative
Reactions: Viking1
With the yellow band most times the SC will replace only the screen and leave the computer part alone. This will save all your settings. Sometimes they will opt to replace the entire MCU which will reset all the settings. There's no backup for them to do.
Side note: You won't lose your streaming favorites because they are stored on your Slacker account.

• Informative
Reactions: Viking1
I picked up my MS end of Dec 2016, I started noticing yellow vertical line on edges few days ago.. I guess I'll have to make an appt. to get this replaced while under warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 84
I picked up my MS end of Dec 2016, I started noticing yellow vertical line on edges few days ago.. I guess I'll have to make an appt. to get this replaced while under warranty.

Ask them to replace the entire MCU, not the screen, and please report back here whether they honored that request or replaced the screen only. Maybe worth asking if they can replace it with the new/faster MCU2 while you're at it... I'll hold off on replacing mine until I'm somewhat confident they'll make the big swap! :)

Ask them to replace the entire MCU, not the screen, and please report back here whether they honored that request or replaced the screen only. Maybe worth asking if they can replace it with the new/faster MCU2 while you're at it... I'll hold off on replacing mine until I'm somewhat confident they'll make the big swap! :)

I heard that there are issues with MCU2, I was thinking about waiting few weeks before contacting the service center. I work just across the street from Rockville SC, so I may just stop by to show them and get their opinion.

Took my car in. They told me they will replace the screen. Unfortunately they are out of stock and are back ordering. So I need to bring my car in again. You would think they could check their inventory given my description of the problem. Oh well, I did get my car washed, and it needed it.

Took my car in. They told me they will replace the screen. Unfortunately they are out of stock and are back ordering. So I need to bring my car in again. You would think they could check their inventory given my description of the problem. Oh well, I did get my car washed, and it needed it.
After 3 months of the screen replacement being on indefinite backorder, they ended up replacing my MCU. You might have to keep on top of them about it.