Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is gonna sound nuts but today is my first day on 2018.26 and this is the first time I’ve noticed a faint yellow border at the top of my MCU.... I swear I didn’t have it two days ago.

So maybe they are trying to do some sort of software correction of backlight irregularity.

Interesting. That is what happened to mine too. Perhaps it is a software induced issue in our case.

This is gonna sound nuts but today is my first day on 2018.26 and this is the first time I’ve noticed a faint yellow border at the top of my MCU.... I swear I didn’t have it two days ago.

So maybe they are trying to do some sort of software correction of backlight irregularity.

Same thing occurred to me. Just updated to 2018.26

Release Notes were not posted in the car in my case and while hunting around for them noticed the yellow borders on the LHS and RHS of the screen for the first time car mfg july 2017..

I just received my "yellow border" about 4 weeks ago. It has gotten progressively worse over time. It was very faint for about a week, but then it got much more pronounced. Not like a yellow highlighter or anything dramatic like that but there is a clear visible yellowing around the outside of the screen. I have a Nov 2017 build Model S so it happens quickly if you have one of the bad batch of screens.

Curious, has anyone had the issue return after replacing the screen? I read about 1 person from the official Tesla forum that had this happen and they had to have it replaced twice. I just don't want it to happen again at 50,001 miles. :)

I just received my "yellow border" about 4 weeks ago. It has gotten progressively worse over time. It was very faint for about a week, but then it got much more pronounced. Not like a yellow highlighter or anything dramatic like that but there is a clear visible yellowing around the outside of the screen. I have a Nov 2017 build Model S so it happens quickly if you have one of the bad batch of screens.

Curious, has anyone had the issue return after replacing the screen? I read about 1 person from the official Tesla forum that had this happen and they had to have it replaced twice. I just don't want it to happen again at 50,001 miles. :)

Been searching this problem again recently. I have this issue show up twice on our Model X Dec'16 delivery. The first time was summer of 2017 in the midwest. Covered parking at home and at work with Overheat Protection on. I would guess 95% of the time when it was parked it was covered and not in direct sunlight. They replaced the screen under warranty.

We moved to the south 2 months ago and recently the issue came back. I can't remember when however though. I didn't realize it until 2 weeks ago but it might have started a week or 2 before that and I didn't look close enough. We have 6k miles left until we hit 50,000 so I'm working to get a call in to get it fixed before that milestone and it's not covered. At this rate it's an annual issue for us. I'm thinking about purchasing a windshield reflector in hopes that maybe that will help with the problem after this replacement.

Been searching this problem again recently. I have this issue show up twice on our Model X Dec'16 delivery. The first time was summer of 2017 in the midwest. Covered parking at home and at work with Overheat Protection on. I would guess 95% of the time when it was parked it was covered and not in direct sunlight. They replaced the screen under warranty.

We moved to the south 2 months ago and recently the issue came back. I can't remember when however though. I didn't realize it until 2 weeks ago but it might have started a week or 2 before that and I didn't look close enough. We have 6k miles left until we hit 50,000 so I'm working to get a call in to get it fixed before that milestone and it's not covered. At this rate it's an annual issue for us. I'm thinking about purchasing a windshield reflector in hopes that maybe that will help with the problem after this replacement.

Thanks for letting me know. I would hope that when they replace the defective screen, it would be with a screen that is not from the same defective batch but we'll see. I'm at 9,700 miles so I have plenty of room before 50,000.

Thanks for letting me know. I would hope that when they replace the defective screen, it would be with a screen that is not from the same defective batch but we'll see. I'm at 9,700 miles so I have plenty of room before 50,000.

I'm assuming they still will since it's under warranty, but yes I hope that I don't run into the same issue a year from now and no warranty later haha. Doesn't help putting 25k miles on it a year. You burn through a 50k mile warranty pretty quickly. Happy about having an unlimited mile 8-year warranty for the battery and motors though.

Same thing occurred to me. Just updated to 2018.26

Release Notes were not posted in the car in my case and while hunting around for them noticed the yellow borders on the LHS and RHS of the screen for the first time car mfg july 2017..

Update.
I was at the Supercharger/Service Center for a quick top off and checked with the service personnel and they said that the 2018.26 load delivered fine, there were a number of failed updates previously but the last 4 went fine, not to worry about it as it did not cause the yellow bars.

The yellow vertical borders is a problem and will require a change of the center screen which is done by a Ranger, no screens in stock so make an appointment for the Ranger to come out when they get the screen.

I had the yellow box appear in my March, 2017 MS75 about two weeks ago. Scheduled a service appointment online and got a callback the next day where a service rep told me that this is a known issue and that he was ordering a new screen. It arrived at the service center in about a week. The service center was able to change it out in less than half a day.

My screen and MCU got replaced last week, along with a new (but dented) dashboard as it had been damaged during replacement of MCU.

Parts list below:

MCU NA PREMIUM - Model S and Model X
(1045006-00-D)
ASY,HRN,MDLS,LHD,IP,INFO1,PREM AUD
(3004422-00-A)
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Assembly - Top Pad - Instrument Panel
Effectuer remplacement du tableau de bord.
Part Quantity
ASY, TOP PAD IP COMP, 12A PUR/PUR
BLK (1060695-10-D)
Parts Replaced or Added

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
Add me to the club. Took the vehicle out of the garage and noticed the yellow border immediately. I didn’t notice it previously, and the car has been garaged for the past 2 days. Guess I’ll have the SC add this to my work order for next week. Costa Mesa SC appointments are 15 days out!