Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I also have this issue, but it seems as though this issue appeared all of a sudden yesterday. I was aware of this thread, so have always been keeping an eye on this. Yesterday I installed 2018.32.4 and went to supercharge. After charging and driving off is when this first caught my eye and I took the pic:

IMG_20180831_171326.jpg

I'm guessing the firmware update and supercharging was just a coincidence and have nothing to do with the discoloration? Maybe it had been like this for the whole day and I just didn't notice it. Should this be appearing gradually though over a longer period of time, or suddenly one day?

I think I also have this issue, but it seems as though this issue appeared all of a sudden yesterday. I was aware of this thread, so have always been keeping an eye on this. Yesterday I installed 2018.32.4 and went to supercharge. After charging and driving off is when this first caught my eye and I took the pic:

View attachment 330879

I'm guessing the firmware update and supercharging was just a coincidence and have nothing to do with the discoloration? Maybe it had been like this for the whole day and I just didn't notice it. Should this be appearing gradually though over a longer period of time, or suddenly one day?
It does become more intensive gradually over time. Lighting also has an effect on visibility, and I find it's almost easiest to see if the screen is off. With light shining near vertical through the windshield.

Reactions: SeBsZ
I have this same issue. My screen was replaced late 2017 because it had strange lines that looked like cracks but were in the screen image. Then a few weeks ago the yellow lines showed up. My car is a 2012 but the replacement screen is from 2017. It's in the shop now being replaced.

It does become more intensive gradually over time. Lighting also has an effect on visibility, and I find it's almost easiest to see if the screen is off. With light shining near vertical through the windshield.

Mine appeared instantly... right after a firmware update and I really thought that was it. In fact, I could swear both the center dash and 17" had a "warmer" color tone to it after the update... kind of like how a PC or iPhone screen looks "warmer" when in night mode. I talked to service and they convinced me it was just a "coincidence" that it showed up then.

Got my screen replaced today

Asked the tech why this problem pop up around the same time in so many cars

He told me it is heat related. The heat wave this summer broke many records. The LCD screen is simply not ready for this kind of temperature consistently

Took an hour to swap the screen. Super clean job. No issue

MCU1 only for my MCU1

With the new screen, the MCU is a lot more responsive, but of course not at MCU2 level

Overall, I am very happy with their work

Possible Upgrade to MCU2 is unlikely and would be quite expensive because it should include not only the MCU and screen, but also the wiring for and the new antennae in the mirror. My hope is the upgrade would be possible with a hookup to the existing antennae, that should keep cost on check. But given Teslas massive service issues atm I don't see it happening.
Elon said the upgrade is possible, but he most probably meant from a technical feasibility point, not from a "Tesla will offer an upgrade procedure" point. The number of customers willing to pay a hefty price for the upgrade should also be very low in case the mirror assembly would have to be replaced, since the recent UI enhancements made it much better.

He told me it is heat related. The heat wave this summer broke many records. The LCD screen is simply not ready for this kind of temperature consistently

I am highly skeptical of this claim. Why? because my 2013 Model S was exposed to 5 years of extremely high internal temperatures (and extreme low, too) and remained just fine over its lifetime. Back then, we didn't have the "Cabin Overheat Protection" option either. I picked up my Model X this past March, have used Cabin Overheat Protection always and yet have the discoloration. If it is heat-related, then it must be a function of heat AND poorly constructed newer screens.

Got my screen replaced today

Asked the tech why this problem pop up around the same time in so many cars

Took an hour to swap the screen. Super clean job. No issue

MCU1 only for my MCU1

With the new screen, the MCU is a lot more responsive, but of course not at MCU2 level

Overall, I am very happy with their work

+1 MS 75D 2018

So after a hot summer they have to replace the screen?