Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may want to let them know now so they can order a replacement screen. Mine went bad back in October...screen is still on backorder almost 7 weeks later.
That sounds too long, I just took my car in for the 1 yr checkup gave them a 3 week lead time and they had the MCU sitting waiting for me when I brought the car in and yes for some reason they replaced the whole MCU not just the screen , go figure.

@ghostrunner - agreed, it does seem too long. As we've all seen, there is tremendous variability from service center to service center. Reports are that the one less than 50 miles away has them in stock and does them on call, while the one I go to says backorder. I think this is another symptom of the disjointed nature of Tesla's service and parts network, but haven't made an issue of it yet (or driven to the other service center) because I'm on the road 3 weeks a month anyway and it just hasn't been that big of a priority yet.

The only point of my comment was to suggest @Raechris let the service center know in advance vice showing up for his annual maintenance, saying "screen also needs to be replaced" and then being disappointed if he's told it will be on backorder for a week or more.

there is tremendous variability from service center to service center.

This. I set up via the online system an appt for about 3 weeks back and called the day before the appt. They told me not to come in as they didn't have the part (that was 1 week of time already). I called 1 week later and they still didn't have the screen, and they said something along the lines of "don't call us, we'll call you." Still waiting for the new screen.

As other people here have also said, though I'm a bit annoyed at the wait, I don't mind waiting if it means that they are working to permanently fix the issue. Would just love some more communication.

We had our screen replaced once and there is a faint yellow border showing now. At this point I think we're hoping instead of getting a refurbished screen replacement they will have a part change with better technology too and we would rather replace at that time. Just need to be cognizant of warranty period. The yellow border doesn't seem to be as crucial to replace as the delamination issue with the screen adhesive bubbles.

If the OEM of the screen holds up their end of the bargain no doubt they will replace the screens forever.
I seriously doubt they are "working on a fix", because, come on, how long should that take? It's been reported in this forum since August '17, that's more than a year.
It shouldn't take a year to find a suitable screen without the issue (especially since earlier models didn't seem to have the issue). Unless, of course, it's a pricier alternative, especially given a (likely) liability clause with the OEM.
Either way you look at it, waiting for a fix is not what I would expect to turn out a success anytime soon.

As of the last week of November Tesla told us they are not going to replace the bad screens with other bad screens until there is a fix. In other words, suck it up.

I can confirm this. I was just called by Tesla Mobile Service that they are not going to be replacing my screen, and instead are waiting on a software update (not quite sure how this is a software issue). They don't have an ETA, and I was just asked to wait.

Doesn't this violate the terms of the warranty as they are basically refusing to fix a broken part?
Not quite, I don't think. I'm not a lawyer and don't know what's legally considered an acceptable timeframe, but on our Audi, we've gotten two recalls that took over a year to resolve. One was to state that the lighting configuration was not up to FHMVSS regulation and it's just a software flash. We inquired about it several times and eventually almost a year later the update was available.

The second one was that the door panels had "sharp stickers" that could come loose and cause lacerations. They didn't have replacement stickers even as we returned the car.

If they truly are redesigning or procuring a new part to address this issue, this timeframe doesn't sound that reasonable. You'll want documented that you're having this issue in case that your car goes out of warranty between now and when the part is available.

My screen developed dirty yellow around the edges Labor day. Thee new update hides some of it well with the map, but white screens show it is still there. I was called Nov 26, told my screen is on it's way and they put me down for tomorrow to have my screen replaced. I was told in September it would take a visit to the Tesla Repair Center, now they said it is a 2 hour ranger visit. I have a feeling it is only going to be a screen replacement and not the entire computer.

Will post if that is not the case.

My screen developed dirty yellow around the edges Labor day. Thee new update hides some of it well with the map, but white screens show it is still there. I was called Nov 26, told my screen is on it's way and they put me down for tomorrow to have my screen replaced. I was told in September it would take a visit to the Tesla Repair Center, now they said it is a 2 hour ranger visit. I have a feeling it is only going to be a screen replacement and not the entire computer.

Will post if that is not the case.

They won't replace the entire computer, just the screen. In the unlikely event they do, it won't be for an MCU2, just a plain ol' MCU1.

On 2018 Model X. From Tesla:

"This issue is a known issue and a revised part is under development. The screen is not recommended to replace this time since the issue will return and we would like to save you from repeated repairs. Also the yellow border is cosmetic and does not affect screen function. I have marked your vehicle as having this issue for tracking purposes."

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 3.50.22 PM.png

On 2018 Model X. From Tesla:

"This issue is a known issue and a revised part is under development. The screen is not recommended to replace this time since the issue will return and we would like to save you from repeated repairs. Also the yellow border is cosmetic and does not affect screen function. I have marked your vehicle as having this issue for tracking purposes."

View attachment 362835
Looks just like my MS screen. I've since put it in night mode until a fix is found. It's too disconcerting for me to focus on those damn yellow borders.