Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my new inventory 100D, and first thing we noticed is that the top of the screen is significantly yellow, making me a YBS as well, though I didn't even know this was an issue with Tesla until now!

We can reject the entire car, but, we did get a good deal, and I suppose that we should still take the car and just deal with it until they fix it under warrantee?

Just received my new inventory 100D, and first thing we noticed is that the top of the screen is significantly yellow, making me a YBS as well, though I didn't even know this was an issue with Tesla until now!

We can reject the entire car, but, we did get a good deal, and I suppose that we should still take the car and just deal with it until they fix it under warrantee?
Do you know the build date of your car? In late 2018 we had YBS show up on two of our cars from 2016 and 2017. We got one of them replaced before selling it but are waiting on getting the second one fixed.

Tesla will replace under warranty, but has advised many of us to wait until they update the part soon (~ September). No real harm in accepting the car with this cosmetic issue IMO.

Just to be clear, people are getting their MCU screen replaced, not the MCU itself (be it 1 or 2). The MCU is the computer, the MCU screen is what is getting the yellow band of death and requiring replacement. I'm not even sure there is a difference in the screen between MCU1 and MCU2 cars since both types are getting the yellow band of death....

Reactions: MP3Mike
Just to be clear, people are getting their MCU screen replaced, not the MCU itself (be it 1 or 2). The MCU is the computer, the MCU screen is what is getting the yellow band of death and requiring replacement. I'm not even sure there is a difference in the screen between MCU1 and MCU2 cars since both types are getting the yellow band of death....
It depends. I requested to have the screen replaced before selling my S90D a couple months ago. The paperwork they showed me after the service showed they replaced the MCU and the screen. While the MCU replacement isn't necessary, many service centers have been replacing it. Maybe the way they have the parts in inventory, they are already assembled and it's faster to just swap both out instead of ordering separate screens.

• Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02
October 2018 manufacture date; December 2018 delivery date - Model S 75D; noticed the yellowing starting today. So, recent build - cold climate (colorado), car hasn't even really gotten hot inside yet, ever.

Called service center, say they're still "waiting for a long term fix". If I hear the "firmware fix" line i'm going to go through the roof... My concern is that they're kicking this down the line to placate us; by the time this supposed newly designed screen happens or is supposed to happen, the Model S/X will probably be refreshed and not use this screen anymore.

Pre-2016 loaners I've gotten haven't had this problem. Sure seems that this is a recurrent problem up until now; just concerned they're going to say "It's cosmetic, we're not fixing it."

Edit: Just talked to one of the service centers here. He said "We've gotten 50 mile loaners right off the assembly line with this problem. You're not alone, we're just working out the problem with the part manufacturer, it's a defect, nothing to do with weather or anything you guys have done, and tons of owners have the problem. We'll take care of you, we just have to work out a long term fix."

We'll see i guess... But I know people said that in 2017 and here we are...

Last edited:
Just talked to one of the service centers here. He said "We've gotten 50 mile loaners right off the assembly line with this problem. You're not alone, we're just working out the problem with the part manufacturer, it's a defect, nothing to do with weather or anything you guys have done, and tons of owners have the problem. We'll take care of you, we just have to work out a long term fix."

Realistically, unless we get something from Tesla in *writing* that says they'll fix it for us even when out of warranty (which will happen quickly), then it's kind of meaningless. I've already had mine replaced once and it hasn't come back but I know it will at some point. I'll want something in writing before I go off warranty stating they'll fix it when it happens again - since it's a known defect.

Just talked to one of the service centers here
Realistically, unless we get something from Tesla in *writing* that says they'll fix it for us even when out of warranty (which will happen quickly), then it's kind of meaningless. I've already had mine replaced once and it hasn't come back but I know it will at some point. I'll want something in writing before I go off warranty stating they'll fix it when it happens again - since it's a known defect.

I really have my doubts as to whether or not Tesla will ever provide anything like that in writing. Noticing it today really is not great because of that. Yeah I know, here come the responses of "It doesn't impair the functionality of the car, just drive the car and have fun!" - like we should just shrug away every defect.

I just run mine in night mode all the time, you can hardly notice it then and I think it looks better in night mode anyway.
I do agree though that pulling the dash apart is something that you don't really want done, even once as it usually introduces rattles.

I wish I found this thread earlier. I just began noticing a yellowing (about a 1/4 inch) all the way around my screen in my Model X. I made an appointment via the app, and my local SC called me to let me know it's a "known issue" and canceled my appointment. He said they've replaced screens only to have it come back, so they are awaiting parts for a remanufactured screen that should resolve the issue. But he said an ETA of 2-3 months and to make the appointment in June.