Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Display Faults

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original screen layout was far better than the latest version. Irrespective of the functionality that has been added since I purchased ths car in Q1 of 2016, the greatest problems are the desgn/ layout.

1. The abilty to find the phone's screen function in order to make a phone call is difficult, it's now hidden below 2/3 screens making calling a real problem. One is almost forced to use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel, where it's far too easy to overscroll past the item required for selection!

2. Opening & closing the roof is not friendly, especially when you're driving. One needs a very steady finger, if one wants to 'fully' open the roof. One can no longer drag it from say 75% to 100% as the whole graphic now moves. There should be a definate/ separate option to open it immediately to the max.

3. Someone was paid to design the function buttons on the top of the screen! Why are they so bunched up? So often I go to open/close my garage doors only to find I've inavertantly gone to 'Valet mode.'

PLEASE can we have a better layout, that's fully tested for user friendliness before launch?

You can map the roof opening to the right scroll wheel. Not sure what you mean about the whole graphic moving. The tap and drag works for me.

I use the auto open/close for my garage door, but it sometimes doesn't work and I agree, trying to hit the home button is a challenge. I've considered using an actual tiny remote mounted inconspicuously in the cabin instead of using the home button.

I find using one of my other fingers as a prop just outside of the screen gives me more stability to hit the right part of the screen, but the top of the screen is not very accessible without leaning far forward.

Thank you for your work around/ suggestions. I've no idea how to map anything, but that's beside the point. We've bought a relatively expensive car that's supposedly future proof. That's as far the sort of points I've raised.

In that case why should we need to work around anything? Tesla has the resources & know-how to fix these sort of issues in the next release of their screen software. I think it's a matter of if they can be bothered to listen to their older & more loyal customers who helped Tesla get to where it is today?

Thank you for your work around/ suggestions. I've no idea how to map anything, but that's beside the point. We've bought a relatively expensive car that's supposedly future proof. That's as far the sort of points I've raised.

In that case why should we need to work around anything? Tesla has the resources & know-how to fix these sort of issues in the next release of their screen software. I think it's a matter of if they can be bothered to listen to their older & more loyal customers who helped Tesla get to where it is today?
I agree 100% that you should be able to report it as a bug and someone should address it immediately and push it out in an incremental software update that doesn't need to take forever to reach users. You broke it, fix it. The problem is that that's not how Tesla operates these days.

Another problem (not yours, just in general) is expectations. People heard for years that Tesla was "future proof" and got updates and people's first thought is of all of the positives. There are indeed a lot of them so I'm not bagging on this idea entirely because implemented properly I think it can be a very powerful tool. The problem is that it's not all sunshine and puppies and for the last couple of years now we've seen what happens when software updates are pushed to cars and it's a lot like our smart phones: add a couple of cool features, fix a couple of bugs and add a couple more bugs that will annoy you to no end that seemingly take forever to resolve only to add a couple of other bugs that are even more annoying. Sadly, this has become how the Tesla update process works. As the code becomes more complex with farts and videos games that 99% of owners will never even utilize it becomes bloated and easier for bugs to sneak past QA/QC and into full releases. This is going to get worse before it gets better as long as Tesla is hyper-focused on profits and cutting out staff to run as slim as possible. Things that are imperative to their success like coding and customer service have become an expense line item they can live out. That's not good and unfortunately it's earning Tesla a negative reputation that will be impossible to reverse as it gets worse.

I agree 100% that you should be able to report it as a bug and someone should address it immediately and push it out in an incremental software update that doesn't need to take forever to reach users. You broke it, fix it. The problem is that that's not how Tesla operates these days.

Another problem (not yours, just in general) is expectations. People heard for years that Tesla was "future proof" and got updates and people's first thought is of all of the positives. There are indeed a lot of them so I'm not bagging on this idea entirely because implemented properly I think it can be a very powerful tool.

The problem is that it's not all sunshine and puppies and for the last couple of years now we've seen what happens when software updates are pushed to cars and it's a lot like our smart phones: add a couple of cool features, fix a couple of bugs and add a couple more bugs that will annoy you to no end that seemingly take forever to resolve only to add a couple of other bugs that are even more annoying. Sadly, this has become how the Tesla update process works.

As the code becomes more complex with farts and videos games that 99% of owners will never even utilize it becomes bloated and easier for bugs to sneak past QA/QC and into full releases. This is going to get worse before it gets better as long as Tesla is hyper-focused on profits and cutting out staff to run as slim as possible. Things that are imperative to their success like coding and customer service have become an expense line item they can live out. That's not good and unfortunately it's earning Tesla a negative reputation that will be impossible to reverse as it gets worse.

Thanks for your sad, yet I suppose realistic take on what should be our expectations : -(

However if this neglect continues of their commitments to honour the promised software updates, such poor practice will come back & bite Tesla hard on the current juicy sales rump! This will be especially so, as competitors will soon be catching up & able to offer comparable vehicles!!!

Thanks for your sad, yet I suppose realistic take on what should be our expectations : -(

However if this neglect continues of their commitments to honour the promised software updates, such poor practice will come back & bite Tesla hard on the current juicy sales rump! This will be especially so, as competitors will soon be catching up & able to offer comparable vehicles!!!
This is what I keep saying but Tesla apologists everywhere beat me down the moment I dare utter such sacrilege. The fact of the matter is that Tesla is still pretty small potatoes at this point and if they generate a terrible name for themselves they're going to absolutely kill whatever momentum they have right before the big manufacturers come to the plate with something 90 to 95% is good. For most people (read: people still driving ICE) that 5 to 10% isn't worth putting up with the negative BS you have to put up with from Tesla.

As somebody who's owned five of these damn things I really wish Tesla would prove me wrong. This is one of those rare instances where I'm hoping against hope that I'm not right.