Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen flashes to black and phone disconnects upon door close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've had my MR3 for about 5 months now. The past 2.5 weeks, the car has been at Tesla to work on a broken door handle and the screen flashing to black upon door close. They replaced parts on the door handle but not the screen.

For the screen (which I provided about a dozen time stamps-even printed them out and left in the car) Tesla is saying that I'm moving my body right when I close the door and the car thinks I'm not there. I call BS on this as I've had a loaner S while my car was in the shop and the screen didn't flash once. So, if it's me, it seems like the problem would persist on the S.

I do agree that the car doesn't think I'm there as that's what seems to happen, but it happens right on the door close. I'm not getting out of my seat to close the door. Also, I weight north of 200 so I don't think lack of weight is the issue.

Anyways, they want me to pick up the car tomorrow but I'm telling them this needs to be fixed first.

Has anyone else had this issue? Should I just pick up the car?

Thanks for any insight.

I've had this happen a couple times recently and my thought was that after getting into the car I'm closing the door before setting my full weight on the seat, so the car briefly thinks it's closed and unoccupied and turns the screen off. I have no definitive proof of anything but that was my conclusion.

Funny I was going to post about this today. Definitely me not having my butt down far enough in the seat. They should fix this in software. Don’t shut off the screen immediately when the door is closed. Wait 1 second then check seat sensor.

Hello,

I've had my MR3 for about 5 months now. The past 2.5 weeks, the car has been at Tesla to work on a broken door handle and the screen flashing to black upon door close. They replaced parts on the door handle but not the screen.

For the screen (which I provided about a dozen time stamps-even printed them out and left in the car) Tesla is saying that I'm moving my body right when I close the door and the car thinks I'm not there. I call BS on this as I've had a loaner S while my car was in the shop and the screen didn't flash once. So, if it's me, it seems like the problem would persist on the S.

I do agree that the car doesn't think I'm there as that's what seems to happen, but it happens right on the door close. I'm not getting out of my seat to close the door. Also, I weight north of 200 so I don't think lack of weight is the issue.

Anyways, they want me to pick up the car tomorrow but I'm telling them this needs to be fixed first.

Has anyone else had this issue? Should I just pick up the car?

Thanks for any insight.
I have this happen every time I close the door., and sometimes when I open it. It has done it since the day I took delivery so I figured it was a part of the cars mechanics. Also the M3 I test drove did this as well.

Picked up the car today and the tech said the seat sensor is about half the size of the one in the S/X so that may be why the black screen upon door close wasn't happening in the S loaner. Going to follow destructure00's advise of pressing the brake before closing door. Service suggested to do this as well.

As a side note, feels GREAT to have my 3 back. I didn't care for the S.

Reactions: destructure00
Picked up the car today and the tech said the seat sensor is about half the size of the one in the S/X so that may be why the black screen upon door close wasn't happening in the S loaner. Going to follow destructure00's advise of pressing the brake before closing door. Service suggested to do this as well.

As a side note, feels GREAT to have my 3 back. I didn't care for the S.

Is it still happening? I weigh 165 and that has never happened to me. Sounds like the sensor is faulty. Curious if you have gen 1 or gen 2 seats?

I get in with Easy Entry, close the door, press on the brake, enter my pin, it adjusts the seat, then I drive.

Reactions: WarpedOne
This is happening non stop to me now. And it never happened before. So I k no for a fact that the black screen and phone disconnecting aren't normal.

Also had other problems where I've gotten out of the car and the car still thinks I'm in inside and won't auto lock.

And a lot of times it does the roll away preventiom emergency stop because it doesn't think I'm sitting down. It's annoying af.

I suspected it was a faulty seat sensor and made a ticket but have kept pushing it back because I'm busy.

Any updates or solutions on this?

Reactions: medphys3
This is happening non stop to me now. And it never happened before. So I k no for a fact that the black screen and phone disconnecting aren't normal.

Also had other problems where I've gotten out of the car and the car still thinks I'm in inside and won't auto lock.

And a lot of times it does the roll away preventiom emergency stop because it doesn't think I'm sitting down. It's annoying af.

I suspected it was a faulty seat sensor and made a ticket but have kept pushing it back because I'm busy.

Any updates or solutions on this?

Same here with the screen going black (basically, car sleeping) upon entry.

This has never happened to me until recently.