Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen flicker and switching off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mod3P

Oct 6, 2019
Uk
Hi

Just taken delivery of a model 3 performance about 10 days ago.

Loving it so far but my screen keeps flashing black and occasionally switches off whilst driving.

Recently upgraded to V10 software but hasn't solved the issue.

Have tried a reset by holding both steering buttons and the brake pedals at the same time.

Anything else that I can do?

Cheers

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply. It's switched off completely at least 4 times whilst driving and the flickers occur a few times during pretty much all drives.

I have booked an SC appointment but it's not for another month.. :(

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply. It's switched off completely at least 4 times whilst driving and the flickers occur a few times during pretty much all drives.

No problem - welcome to the forum.

It certainly sounds faulty. My screen has never flickered (everything crossed :rolleyes:). I’ve purposely rebooted a couple of times to clear Spotify problems, but only ever had the one spontaneous reboot while I was driving.

Have you had any contact from the Tesla service rep since you made your booking? I just wondered if it was something a Tesla Ranger might be able to fix more quickly.

I know it’s a bit off putting, but at least it doesn’t stop you from driving the car. ;)

Unfortunately no contact from any rep.

I followed up the booking with a phonecall to Tesla support and he said he would update the log. He did say a mobile technician may be able to solve the problem but haven't heard anything since.

Will give it a few days and maybe try again.

As the screen displays pretty much everything, in the event that it turns off how would someone be able to ensure they remain within the speed limit? Had a brief look online and have read that the phone app displays the speed of the car but with some slight delay - is that still the case?

Y
As the screen displays pretty much everything, in the event that it turns off how would someone be able to ensure they remain within the speed limit? Had a brief look online and have read that the phone app displays the speed of the car but with some slight delay - is that still the case?
yes but not sure how safe that is to suddenly whip out your phone when you don’t know how fast you’re going. Thankfully it’s rare.
Just follow the car in front and hope they’re obeying the speed limit!

as for this issue, never had it but noticed the bottom of the screen radiates quite a lot of heat

Definitely not a good idea to fiddle around with phone, no - but if it keeps happening some kind of dash mount for the phone could be useful as a temporary measure.

Following the car in front - yeah, thought of that (and whether or not they'd be sticking to the limit) but if no other cars around, a bit tricky!

Yes I have been just judging distance by following the car in front and I slow down slightly as well.

I had read some reports of it happening with previous software updates but read it had been sorted..

Just hoping it's a quick and easy fix

Use Waze and put it down the bottom running whilst charging until you get it fixed as it will show a speed limit on there, seems fairly accurate but perhaps a slight delay

Hi

Just taken delivery of a model 3 performance about 10 days ago.

Loving it so far but my screen keeps flashing black and occasionally switches off whilst driving.

Recently upgraded to V10 software but hasn't solved the issue.

Have tried a reset by holding both steering buttons and the brake pedals at the same time.

Anything else that I can do?

Cheers
hi my tesla 3 has screen flicker 4 times now reboot does nothing

Hi

At 10 days since delivery I would be driving to the service centre, leaving the car after demanding a loaner. Not acceptable to wait a month for a car that is basically un-driveable. I had the screen go blank on my M3 just once since delivery in March 2020. A re-boot sorted it and it has never re-occurred.

At 10 days since delivery I would be driving to the service centre, leaving the car after demanding a loaner. Not acceptable to wait a month for a car that is basically un-driveable. I had the screen go blank on my M3 just once since delivery in March 2020. A re-boot sorted it and it has never re-occurred.
If the car is undriveable with a clear warranty issue like this call Tesla Roadside, they will collect and provide a replacement vehicle. There's no need to demand anything, and no need to drive a car that isn't safe.