TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Screen freeze

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by BillBot, Sep 25, 2019.

1. BillBot

BillBot Member

I had a screen freeze today whilst reversing and had to reboot on the move which was slightly unnerving. I was trying to work out if there were any controls on the screen that would be essential to driving and headlights were all I could think of. I have them on auto, so do they stay on when you do a reboot (it was still light when it happened)?

Also, I have to say the emergency lane departure seems very over sensitive. It was activated when I was miles away from a parked car. Hopefully this will improve.

2. TheEVadvisor

TheEVadvisor Member

I know when I've reboot a few times the lights flash on and off at least for a few seconds

3. BillBot

BillBot Member

That’s not going to be great in the dark

4. BillBot

BillBot Member

Are screen freezes being experienced by others and how often?

5. Astrid

Astrid Member

#5 Astrid, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    BEA6F2AE-85D4-47E0-95C6-4FBFD4ADE101.jpeg Yes, more often. This morning in stead of freeze a colored screen. Disappeared after reset

6. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

Which car model,?

7. Astrid

Astrid Member

MX 100D 2017

8. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

MCU1 then. Can't say I've had a full freeze but graphics and text corruption, yes. Reset trips and clean up navigation history and reboot will fix this for a while.

9. Krash

Krash Data Technician

#9 Krash, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    If your car is a pre spring 2018 S/X then screen freezes are a symptom that your old MCU1 may soon die. See Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1 and related threads.

Best practice for MCU1 units having eMMC problems is to turn off scheduled charging when you are going to be too far away from the service center to get there without recharging, since with scheduled charging off you will likely be able to charge without the MCU. Also, before you reach warranty end (for time or mileage), pull the MCU1 and have a mobile repair shop pull the eMMC chip. Get it cloned onto a compatible larger size chip and re-soldered before reinstalling. That should buy you another decade of MCU usage.

I have clarified this post for Rob R who considered the original spam.

• Disagree x 1
  10. Rob R

Rob R Member

This is in effect spam, if you have a Model 3 from this summer, just ignore it. (If you have a Model S, several years old, may be worth reading).

11. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

I believe that you may find that a screen lockup has very little to no impact on the car's operation.
    If Autopilot is on, the car will continue to keep driving.