Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Freeze

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned a model y since 3 months. On one occasion, when driving on a highway, I changed the destination in the navigator. The entire screen became unresponsive while the Navigator was determining the route. I had to reboot the screen after waiting for almost 3mins. And it further took almost 2mins to reboot. In total I was driving for almost 5mins without the display. In hindsight, perhaps I should have pulled over. I am assuming and hoping that this was one off and would never recur. Has anyone experienced this issue and if so, do you have any recommendation to deal with it differently.

Not sure if it's related or not, but I had a situation a week or two ago that sounds similar. I went to type in a destination and the entire screen crashed out to black for a few minutes. Thumbscroller reset worked, but only after a few minutes. Sounds like there's a bug. Hopefully it's resolved in the newer builds.

My display blacked out and reset yesterday while I was driving. It was the 2nd time this had happened. I only noticed because Spotify stopped. I was in a no-service zone which causes Spotify to sometimes stop or repeat. I kept driving an the display eventually came back.

First time was when I was backing out of my parking spot. I pulled back in and waited until it came back.

My display blacked out and reset yesterday while I was driving. It was the 2nd time this had happened. I only noticed because Spotify stopped. I was in a no-service zone which causes Spotify to sometimes stop or repeat. I kept driving an the display eventually came back.

First time was when I was backing out of my parking spot. I pulled back in and waited until it came back.
My symptoms are very similar to what Mark95476 observed.

Since the Dec 26, 2021 upgrade I had my screen frozen 3 times, plus other side effects. Subsequent SW upgrade did not fix this issue still. My last frozen screen was just 3 days ago (January 20).

Few hints for Tesla developers:

First, freezing issue is most likely related to the media CPU overloading or synchronizing its threads while I am streaming Spotify. I do not think that it ever happened when I was listening to the radio. Reason I am saying this is that there is the ticking sounds that start muting streaming audio for sometimes 1 or 2 ticks, to sometimes 5...10 ticks preceeng the screen freeze. Ticking sounds seem to be going at rate of about 4 x second. Whenever this started happening in few minutes the screen froze.
Secondly, there is another sign to correlate it to the media CPU issue; use of any screen or controls can cause the ticking sounds, as they are interrupting some process. Again, this is while streaming audio.
Third, issue seems to also be related to poor reception i.e. not able to receive streaming media/rebuffering. The circling "search" icon is most of the time on.

If find these issues directly caused by the Dec 26 upgrade (forced) and very unsafe, not too mention inconvenient and disappointing.
At one time screen froze while I was driving at night in the rain with windshield wipers in manual mode, and with lights on. After screen froze I had no control of the wipers or the lights, or everything else that is controlled from the touchscreen. After couple of minutes rain stopped and my wipers are still running and I can not turn off the lights or wipers.
Of course rebooting the media computer brought it back after several minutes, rather uncontrollably as pushing the bottons for 10 seconds does not produce any visual change any longer, nor the Tesla logo shows up any more after the computer starts booting, but this is not a solution.