Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen froze while accessing manual

Hookemhorns

May 8, 2016
Georgia
Happened to me today, 2016MS MCU2. While we were driving, passenger opened manual, went to the index, then screen went very dim, not black. Nothing at all would respond.

So I did a two button screen reboot while driving and BOTH displays went BLACK. Autopilot remained on, but could not be modified. Turn signals did not work. Car controls (pedal, brake, steering) worked properly. After a few worrisome minutes both screens came back on, but "Cruise Control Disabled" message stayed until I parked and left the car for a few minutes.

I have several times tried to access the manual, and it has locked up the display every time except once. This is nuts.

Shu2

Sep 7, 2021
Northern California
We have had our Model 3 for less than two months and the screen has frozen about four times or more. I freezes most of the time when I check the owners manual. I read a blog that said if you are streaming music it may be more inclined to freeze. I'm going to call the service center and ask if this is normal. It's a bit frustrating and disconcerting!

cwanja

Jun 14, 2021
Houston, Texas
We have had our Model 3 for less than two months and the screen has frozen about four times or more. I freezes most of the time when I check the owners manual. I read a blog that said if you are streaming music it may be more inclined to freeze. I'm going to call the service center and ask if this is normal. It's a bit frustrating and disconcerting!
It is definitely not “normal”, but it is all software based. Unfortunately the service center cannot fix it. Sure engineering is aware of it.

Cornwallav8r

Aug 15, 2019
Lititz, PA
I just bought a late 2016 build Model S, and have the same problem. 3 days now and I have never been able to open the manual, just the table of contents. Just freezes. And browser is so slow, it takes a full minute to react to a press. Streaming music seems ok, not affected too much. This happens on LTE or my fairly high speed WiFi connection, the same. Thoughts?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC