Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen glue leak fix quote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched a lot of forums and I cannot seems to find the answer and Tesla chat is very unhelpful. My 2014 model S is leaking glue on the main screen. I'm asking service via the app for the fix and they are quoting me ~$750 for the lcd/screen to fix the leak and if I wanted the MCU2 that would be an additional $1750. From what others are reporting, the MCU2 includes the lcd/screen. If I just want to fix the screen then I understand $750. So the question is, why is Tesla quoting me $750 for the lcd screen and $1750 for MCU2 when it seems like MCU2 includes the screen?

Regards
Jason

They should be two separate quotes - one for replacing your MCU1 screen (and $750 is less than I paid back before the MCU2 upgrade was available) and one for removing the MCU1 main+instrument cluster screens and replacing with MCU2+main+IC.

I have a quote with 2 entries, $750 screen and $1750 mcu2 totaling $2500.
Does the $1750 call out not having the screen? Might be separate things to show you the two options (screen only vs full unit).
From the parts catalog, there does not seem to be a screenless MCU option. What part numbers are listed?

SmartSelect_20220928_105214_Firefox.jpg

Here is my uneducated guess. The touch screen is leaking glue. The MCU2 is just a computer with a screen and its not touch. The touch screen is what makes the computer respond to touch and if my touch screen was not leaking they just use the existing touch screen and connect it to the new mcu2. Now that my touch screen is leaking that would require a replacement of the touch screen. Am I understanding this correctly ?

Here is my uneducated guess. The touch screen is leaking glue. The MCU2 is just a computer with a screen and its not touch. The touch screen is what makes the computer respond to touch and if my touch screen was not leaking they just use the existing touch screen and connect it to the new mcu2. Now that my touch screen is leaking that would require a replacement of the touch screen. Am I understanding this correctly ?
I am very sure I received both screens as new when I purchased the MCU2 upgrade.

However, to the best of my knowledge, the main center screen is the same and didn't change, so it wasn't required. But I think it gives them an easy large unit to replace as it's all together.

looking at the parts catalog and it seems the screen and mcu2 are indeed separate parts.
The screen can be replaced separately, but an MCU replacement appears to include the screen.
$1750 seems like the price for MCU with screen.
$1500 was the price for MCU2 update in Jan 2021 (per linked article) and recent 2022 post:
Yes on the touchscreen replacement.

Radio upgrade to retain sattelite was extra.

now I'm thoroughly confused :(
The chat feature on the app seems useless as they are saying the screen is separate from the mcu2.
Is there a hidden tesla email or support phone I can confirm with?
Sorry, I have no inside contacts.
The screen is replaceable separately, but what you want to know from them is if the MCU2 upgrade price includes a unit with a new screen. It seems like it does (did?).
Does the quote have the "wit replacement touchscreen" description for the $1,750 part?
"Several thousand" is a bit of a subjective term, so to clarify, the upgrade of the infotainment system from MCU1 to MCU2 is currently $1500. You will lose the AM/FM radio, but you can get a new FM radio tuner for an added $500, so a total of $2,000 plus sales tax. This includes replacement of both screens. If you see bubbling around the edges of either screen, that's an indicated the glue seal has failed and the screen is leaking the gel between the two layers. This can make a mess, but my bigger worry is what's behind the screens in terms of electronics which the gel may be leaking onto. Again, this would be a good trigger to get the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade as this includes both screens being replaced, so in my opinion, a good value versus doing a screen replacement.

If you have access to the car, you can easily confirm both the infotainment version and 3G vs. LTE modem by going to the software, then click on the Additional vehicle information link. If infotainment processor shows NVIDIA then it is still MCU1.. If it shows Intel, then it is MCU2. You'll also see directly an entry for the Modem capabilities which will directly state 3G or 4G.

Depending upon when the car was first sold, the 8 year unlimited mile battery and drive motor warranty could still be valid for the better part of two years (a 2015 produced car not put into service originally until 1Q 2016 would still have the 8 year warranty until early 2024). You would likely want to confirm details like if AP1 autopilot capability was purchased and enabled. It should have premium connectivity and likely may have free unlimited supercharging if the car has never been sold back through Tesla.

For the record, I do think there were some definite upgrades between 2015 and when the mid-2016 refresh models were introduced, but I know many owners that have 2015 vintage cars, continue to drive them, and had neither battery or drive motor replacement issues.

Of course all the other routine things you'd want to understand about any vehicle; does it have a clean title versus salvage, any history of major accidents/collision repairs, etc.

and FYI - my perspective is based from owning a June 2016 produced MS90D purchased new, that I've owned for going on 6 years. Since my 4 yr/50k warranty expired, I've paid just under $500 total for maintenance which was replacement/rebuild of two door handles. I did elect to do the MCU2 infotainment upgrade with radio for $2,000 in early December 2021. I do not consider that expense maintenance as it was driven by my choice to upgrade functionality, not initiated by a failure of any form. My wait to get it installed at my local service center was about 2 weeks, although I know some have had to wait much longer.