TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Screen hardware specs - do newer models have better graphics hardware?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by mnewman, Jul 6, 2016.

1. mnewman

mnewman Member

Question: Has Tesla implemented faster GPU or CPUs with newer Model S cars? I have a 2013 S and, much like with an iPad, newer OS versions may end up with performance issues on older hardware. Are newer cars outfitted with faster UI processing?

2. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Rumor has it the X does but not the S yet.

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Don't believe so, but I think they can improve the framerate by optimizing more, however.

My car was once accidentally left in factory mode after some servicing by Tesla, and as I drove in this mode I could see an FPS monitor. With the map up, I was getting about 15 fps...not great. But if I switched to the media app's track listing the framerate was over 30 fps.

4. Shortmanz

Shortmanz Member

I think newer Model S and probably Model x have higher res instrument screens. I don't know if the CPU's/GPU's are any faster, though. the old screens were approx 1280x400 and the new ones are approx 1920x600. This started around VIN 44xxx in 2014.